Posted to user@wink.apache.org by Murali <up...@us.ibm.com> on 2010/11/23 01:53:49 UTC

Error 500: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: MediaType header is null

Hi All,

I am getting the following error, when I send the request from client.

When I run the server in debug mode, I see that exception raises in
getbody(Schema.class , null ) method of InPart class.

Error 500: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: MediaType header is null

I think I have to set the MediaType, but I dont know where. Can someone
please provide with some inputs?

My brief code is here, where Schema is user defined class.

        List<InPart> parts = inMP.getParts();
    	Iterator<InPart> ipIterator = parts.iterator();

    	InPart ip = ipIterator.next();
	Schema sc = ip.getBody(Schema.class, null);

Error Stack Trace,

[11/22/10 19:52:07:969 EST] 0000001f RequestProces I
org.apache.wink.server.internal.RequestProcessor logException
IllegalArgumentException occurred during the handlers chain invocation
[11/22/10 19:52:07:969 EST] 0000001f RequestProces I
org.apache.wink.server.internal.RequestProcessor handleRequest Unhandled
exception
[11/22/10 19:52:07:969 EST] 0000001f servlet       E
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper service SRVE0068E: Uncaught
exception created in one of the service methods of the servlet JAX-RS
Servlet in application ASF_NewEAR. Exception created :
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: MediaType header is null
	at
org.apache.wink.common.internal.providers.header.MediaTypeHeaderDelegate.fromString(MediaTypeHeaderDelegate.java:47)
	at
org.apache.wink.common.internal.providers.header.MediaTypeHeaderDelegate.fromString(MediaTypeHeaderDelegate.java:34)
	at javax.ws.rs.core.MediaType.valueOf(MediaType.java:150)
	at org.apache.wink.common.model.multipart.InPart.getBody(InPart.java:121)
	at org.apache.wink.common.model.multipart.InPart.getBody(InPart.java:133)
	at
com.ibm.bams.asf.jaxrs.FrameworkHandlerDelegate.registerSchema(FrameworkHandlerDelegate.java:125)
	at
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:48)
	at
	at
org.apache.wink.server.internal.handlers.InvokeMethodHandler.handleRequest(InvokeMethodHandler.java:51)
	at
org.apache.wink.server.handlers.AbstractHandler.handleRequest(AbstractHandler.java:33)
	at
org.apache.wink.server.handlers.RequestHandlersChain.handle(RequestHandlersChain.java:26)
	at
org.apache.wink.server.handlers.RequestHandlersChain.handle(RequestHandlersChain.java:22)
	at
org.apache.wink.server.handlers.AbstractHandlersChain.doChain(AbstractHandlersChain.java:61)

Thanks in advance,

Murali

Re: Error 500: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: MediaType header is null

Posted by Murali Uppala <up...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Jesse,

Thanks for the help.

I made sure that Content-Type header is set on the parts in the request and
that worked!

But once I pass that issue, I get the following error, in method call

ip.getBody(Schema.class, Schema.class);

[11/23/10 12:08:20:500 EST] 0000001f RequestProces I
org.apache.wink.server.internal.RequestProcessor logException
WebApplicationException (415 - Unsupported Media Type) occurred during the
handlers chain invocation

Request from Client,

--AaB03x

{"schema":{"validation":"off","schemaPermission":"AllowFullPermission","file":"schema.xsd","schemaId":"SFX_Schema_MS_01","isActive":"false","schemaName":"Maintenance
 Scheduling"}}

--AaB03x

If I send the XML data instead of JSON data, it works good. I am not sure
why?

Following request from client works good,

--AaB03x

<schema>
    <validation>off</validation>
    <schemaId>SFX_Schema_MS_01</schemaId>
    <schemaName>Maintenance Scheduling</schemaName>
    <isActive>false</isActive>
    <file>hello.xsd</file>
    <schemaPermission>AllowFullPermission</schemaPermission>
</schema>

--AaB03x

Thank you,

Murali Uppala

From:	Jesse A Ramos/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
To:	wink-user@incubator.apache.org
Date:	11/23/2010 10:22 AM
Subject:	Re: Error 500: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: MediaType
            header is null

Hi,

This is a bug in the 1.0 release.  We look for the Content-Type header on
the part being demarshalled but don't check for null in the case that the
header doesn't exist.  This is fixed in the 1.1 release and higher.

However, what the fix does is default to content type of text/plain if the
header is not set.  If this is not correct for the entity, you'll need to
make sure the Content-Type header is set on the parts in the request.

Having said that, I think there is a non-related bug in your input
parameters to getBody that will cause a problem after you get passed this
issue.  The second parameter should also be Schema.class instead of null.
This Type parameter will be used to find a MessageBodyReader that can
demarshall the part into the appropriate entity.

-- Jesse

From:        Murali Uppala/Watson/Contr/IBM@IBMUS
To:        wink-user@incubator.apache.org
Date:        11/22/2010 06:55 PM
Subject:        Error 500: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: MediaType
[...]

                at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
Method)
                at
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke
(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:48)
                at
sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke
(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

Posted by Jesse A Ramos <jr...@us.ibm.com>.
Accidentally sent my reply directly to Murali.  Pasting my response here
on the mailing list:

You'd get this message if your application doesn't provide a
MessageBodyReader that can convert json data into a Schema Object.  Wink
previously provided providers for the org.json classes (ex: JSONObject).
With release 1.1.2, we've added a Jackson provider
(wink-providers/wink-jackson-provider) that may be able to do the
conversion.  Jackson implements it's own JAX-RS MessageBodyReader which we
wrap using some default configuration settings in 1.1.2.  If you'd like to
try Jackson directly, you can put Jackson libraries in your classpath and
return the provider in your Application sub-class.

-- Jesse