Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Bruno Lowagie <br...@rug.ac.be> on 2001/06/19 13:35:29 UTC

OracleDriver not implemented

Hello all,

I have installed jetspeed 1.3.a1 on RH7.1 with Tomcat 3.2.2.
When using hypersonicSql, I can make new users and log in without
any problem.
Then I changed the TurbineResources.properties file according to:
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/site/install.html
I have put the classes12.zip-file (from Oracle) in the WEB-INF/lib/
directory of jetspeed. I even changed zip into jar. Unzipped and
rejarred the Oracle JDBC driver, but nothing helps:

After a shutdown and startup, I allways get the same error:
Exception: java.lang.Error: Error in
BasePeer.initTableSchema(TURBINE_USER):
   Database type oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver not implemented.
     at
org.apache.turbine.om.peer.BasePeer.initTableSchema(BasePeer.java:227)

I allready checked: the class oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver is
in the jar!

Re: OracleDriver not implemented

Posted by Bruno Lowagie <br...@rug.ac.be>.
Bruno Lowagie wrote:

> Now I can log in as an existing user, but when trying to
> create a new user through the web-interface, I get:
>
> Exception: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-01400:
>    cannot insert NULL into ("BLOWAGIE"."TURBINE_USER"."USER_ID")
>    at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:168)

I think this is because Oracle expects
TURBINE_USER_SEQ.NEXTVAL as USER_ID.
Is there some parameter, so that I can
tell turbine that Oracle is the database
and that the TURBINE_USER_SEQ should use
the sequence to attribute a new user_id?

Velocity and Tomcat

Posted by Mus <m....@man.ac.uk>.
Hi All,

I want to use Velocity under Tomcat.  Can anybody advise on their install?
Do I have to install them in the same directory or parallel directories.
When I use start Tomcat, how do I use Velocity?
Your help will be appreciated.

Mus

Re: OracleDriver not implemented

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@networks.groupvu.com>.
Bruno Lowagie wrote:

> Raphaël Luta wrote:
>
>>I don't really know how to help you on this since I don't have any Oracle
>>server to test on and it really looks like a backend issue, but you can try
>>this:
>>
>>Download the Turbine TDK 2.1 (http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/tdk/),
>>install it with your Oracle database and test creating new accounts through
>>the provided Flux application.
>>

> I was allready looking at the classes
> org.apache.turbine.util.db.IDBroker
> and org.apache.turbine.om.peer.BasePeer to try to find out what was
> wrong
> without result up till now. I kind of fear installing the Turbine TDK
> because it means I have to install tomcat all over too, isn't it?

TDK is bundled with its own Catalina container.

>>If it works, then you can try downloading the latest CVS (I don't remember which
>>version you're using) and try creating accounts through Jetspeed.
>>

> I did that yesterday ;-)

SO I assume it doesn't work, it would be great if you could check if
TDK 2.1 works for you. If it does, then it's purely a Jetspeed issue if
it does not it's a pur Turbine issue and this needs to be put on the
Turbine user list

>>If it doesn't work, the issue is with Jetspeed and we'll try to understand where
>>the bug is and how to correct it.
>>

> I fear it's a turbine problem. I have seen there are some bugfixes
> for PostgreSQL in the code, I hope there are some people working
> with Turbine using Oracle too.

Don't worry, Oracle support will be much better than Informix on the
Turbine list... :/

Vivendi Universal Networks - Paris

RE: OracleDriver not implemented

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

> Well, SURPRISE!

Surprise what?
The problem is not with the Turbine code, its with the Jetspeed scripts that
are not up-to-date.

If you look at the Hypersonic DB tables that come with the Jetspeed
distribution, you will see that it has an ID_TABLE.

I used Jetspeed + Oracle with my last project, and also in the current
project Im working on offsite.
It appears that I failed to contribute back my changes to the
/src/sql/external directory.
Im sorry for the trouble it has caused you.

Re: OracleDriver not implemented

Posted by Bruno Lowagie <br...@rug.ac.be>.
Bruno Lowagie wrote:

> David Sean Taylor wrote:
> >
> > I would be very surprised if Turbine doesn't work correctly with Oracle....

Well, SURPRISE!

I got rid of the 'ORA-00942: table or view does not exist' error
after adding some scripts (see below (1)). Please mention those scripts
in your docs for Oracle users!

Unfortunately, I still get an error:
The table TURBINE_USER does not have a proper entry in the ID_TABLE
(see below (2) for stacktrace).

Hello? I deleted everything form TURBINE_USER to avoid duplicate keys.
I ran the script adding the records of ID_TABLE. If I do SELECT * FROM
ID_TABLE, I can see the record for TURBINE_USER. Do I really have to
read through the Turbine code to know what's wrong???

And again: I DON'T WANT TURBINE TO MESS WITH MY KEYS, I want
Turbine to use my TURBINE_USER_SEQ. Otherwise there WILL BE
conflicts after you run the script: default_roles_permissions.sql

(1)
CREATE TABLE ID_TABLE
(
    ID_TABLE_ID INT NOT NULL,
    TABLE_NAME VARCHAR2 (255) NOT NULL,
    NEXT_ID INT,
    QUANTITY INT,
    UNIQUE (TABLE_NAME)
);

ALTER TABLE ID_TABLE
    ADD CONSTRAINT ID_TABLE_PK
PRIMARY KEY (ID_TABLE_ID);

insert into ID_TABLE (id_table_id, table_name, next_id, quantity) VALUES
(1, 'TURBINE_PERMISSION', 100, 10);
insert into ID_TABLE (id_table_id, table_name, next_id, quantity) VALUES
(2, 'TURBINE_ROLE', 100, 10);
insert into ID_TABLE (id_table_id, table_name, next_id, quantity) VALUES
(3, 'TURBINE_GROUP', 100, 10);
insert into ID_TABLE (id_table_id, table_name, next_id, quantity) VALUES
(4, 'TURBINE_ROLE_PERMISSION', 100, 10);
insert into ID_TABLE (id_table_id, table_name, next_id, quantity) VALUES
(5, 'TURBINE_USER', 100, 10);
insert into ID_TABLE (id_table_id, table_name, next_id, quantity) VALUES
(6, 'TURBINE_USER_GROUP_ROLE', 100, 10);
insert into ID_TABLE (id_table_id, table_name, next_id, quantity) VALUES
(7, 'TURBINE_SCHEDULED_JOB', 100, 10);

(2)
[Fri Jun 22 10:29:28 CEST 2001] -- INFO -- Forced id retrieval - no
available vector
[Fri Jun 22 10:29:28 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- BasePeer.doUpdate:
whereClause=TABLE_NAME='TURBINE_USER'
[Fri Jun 22 10:29:28 CEST 2001] -- ERROR --
	Exception:  org.apache.turbine.util.security.DataBackendException:
Failed to create account 'blowagie': The table TURBINE_USER does not
have a proper entry in the ID_TABLE
	Stack Trace follows:
	org.apache.turbine.util.TurbineException: The table TURBINE_USER does
not have a proper entry in the ID_TABLE
	at org.apache.turbine.util.db.IDBroker.selectRow(IDBroker.java:702)
	at org.apache.turbine.util.db.IDBroker.storeIDs(IDBroker.java:557)
	at org.apache.turbine.util.db.IDBroker.getNextIds(IDBroker.java:371)
	at
org.apache.turbine.util.db.IDBroker.getIdAsBigDecimal(IDBroker.java:285)
	at org.apache.turbine.om.peer.BasePeer.doInsert(BasePeer.java:746)
	at org.apache.turbine.om.peer.BasePeer.doInsert(BasePeer.java:657)
	at
org.apache.turbine.services.security.db.DBUserManager.createAccount(DBUserManager.java:399)
rethrown as org.apache.turbine.util.security.DataBackendException:
Failed to create account 'blowagie': The table TURBINE_USER does not
have a proper entry in the ID_TABLE
	at
org.apache.turbine.services.security.db.DBUserManager.createAccount(DBUserManager.java:404)
	at
org.apache.turbine.services.security.BaseSecurityService.addUser(BaseSecurityService.java:392)
	at
org.apache.turbine.services.security.TurbineSecurity.addUser(TurbineSecurity.java:430)
	at
org.apache.jetspeed.modules.actions.CreateNewUserAndConfirm.doPerform(CreateNewUserAndConfirm.java:176)
	at org.apache.turbine.modules.Action.perform(Action.java:87)
	at org.apache.turbine.modules.ActionLoader.exec(ActionLoader.java:122)
	at
org.apache.turbine.modules.pages.DefaultPage.doBuild(DefaultPage.java:143)
	at org.apache.turbine.modules.Page.build(Page.java:90)
	at org.apache.turbine.modules.PageLoader.exec(PageLoader.java:123)
	at org.apache.turbine.Turbine.doGet(Turbine.java:447)
	at org.apache.turbine.Turbine.doPost(Turbine.java:537)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:405)
	at
	at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java:797)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:743)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(HttpConnectionHandler.java:213)
	at
	at
org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:501)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

RE: OracleDriver not implemented

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
> >       Exception:
> org.apache.turbine.util.security.DataBackendException:
> > > Failed to create account 'blowagie': ORA-00942: table or
> view does not
> > exist
> >
> > The table doesn't exist in the schema you logged on to.
>
> What table?

So its the ID_TABLE that is not being found.
My mistake, I thought you weren't finding any tables.

> I can log in with user turbine/turbine and admin/jetspeed,
> so the table TURBINE_USER exists.

I see. That wasn't clear to me when I tried to help last time.

Re: OracleDriver not implemented

Posted by Bruno Lowagie <br...@rug.ac.be>.
David Sean Taylor wrote:

> I would be very surprised if Turbine doesn't work correctly with Oracle....
>
> Looking at your stack trace, it looks to me like an obvious database
> configuration problem:
>
> >       Exception:  org.apache.turbine.util.security.DataBackendException:
> > Failed to create account 'blowagie': ORA-00942: table or view does not
> exist
>
> The table doesn't exist in the schema you logged on to.

What table?
I can log in with user turbine/turbine and admin/jetspeed,
so the table TURBINE_USER exists.

I now have the Turbine TDK on another machine and I read in the specs:
" If you would rather use Turbine's id-broker to generate primary keys,
  run the following scripts to create and populate the id-broker table :
   @path/to/oracle-id-table-schema.sql
   @path/to/oracle-turbine-id-table-init.sql "

There's nothing in the jetspeed Oracle script about this.

Since class org.apache.turbine.util.db.IDBroker is in my
stacktrace, I guess some extra tables need to be created.
However when I search for oracle-id-table-schema.sql with
google I get lots of broken links. I can't find this script.

And maybe I don't want the IDBroker to look for ID's in
another table because maybe I have another app to add user
using the oracle sequence. I don't want some other mechanism
using some other table, messing up my primary keys.

RE: OracleDriver not implemented

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
I would be very surprised if Turbine doesn't work correctly with Oracle....

Looking at your stack trace, it looks to me like an obvious database
configuration problem:

>	Exception:  org.apache.turbine.util.security.DataBackendException:
> Failed to create account 'blowagie': ORA-00942: table or view does not
exist

The table doesn't exist in the schema you logged on to.

Im not sure why you had to create another schema named JETSPEED, and then
create all those public synonyms....

So what are your settings in the Tr.p ? Do you logon into the 'JETSPEED'
schema, or the 'LOWAGIE' schema?
>From your links you sent me, it looks like the tables are created in the
'LOWAGIE' schema,
and then you are trying to grant privileges to the LOWAGIE schema for the
JETSPEED user.

I would guess your Tr.p settings look something like this:

database.default.driver=oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver
database.default.url=jdbc:oracle:thin:@<hostname>:1521:<sid>
database.default.username=jetspeed
database.default.password=<your-password>

I would recommend, until you can work learn a little more about how synonyms
and permissions work in Oracle, setting:

database.default.driver=oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver
database.default.url=jdbc:oracle:thin:@<hostname>:1521:<sid>
database.default.username=LOWAGIE
database.default.password=<your-password>

Anyway, I will verify it tomorrow when I have some time (and find some
diskspace) to reinstall 8.1.6...

-------------------------------------
David Sean Taylor
taylor@apache.org
-------------------------------------

Posted by Bruno Lowagie <br...@rug.ac.be>.

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@networks.groupvu.com>.
Bruno Lowagie wrote:

> Bruno Lowagie wrote:
>
>>I think I found the cause of my problem.
>>

> But I was wrong...
>
> As I allready mentioned I made the database tables as user blowagie
> and then granted several rights to user jetspeed:
>
> http://www.lowagie.com/bruno/turbine-oracle.sql
> http://www.lowagie.com/bruno/default_roles_permissions.sql
> http://www.lowagie.com/bruno/privileges-jetspeed.sql

I don't really know how to help you on this since I don't have any Oracle
server to test on and it really looks like a backend issue, but you can try
this:

Download the Turbine TDK 2.1 (http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/tdk/),
install it with your Oracle database and test creating new accounts through
the provided Flux application.

If it doesn't work, the issue is definitely related to Turbine and you'd better
ask on the Turbine user list for help.

If it works, then you can try downloading the latest CVS (I don't remember which
version you're using) and try creating accounts through Jetspeed.

If it works with latest CVS, then any problems you're encountering are caused
by bugs already fixed and you may find within the Turbine nd/or Jetspeed archive
pointers on how to fix the issue

Posted by Bruno Lowagie <br...@rug.ac.be>.
Bruno Lowagie wrote:

> I think I found the cause of my problem.

But I was wrong...

As I allready mentioned I made the database tables as user blowagie
and then granted several rights to user jetspeed:

http://www.lowagie.com/bruno/turbine-oracle.sql
http://www.lowagie.com/bruno/default_roles_permissions.sql
http://www.lowagie.com/bruno/privileges-jetspeed.sql

When I used sqlplus as user jetspeed, I could insert a new row:
insert into TURBINE_USER (USER_ID, LOGIN_NAME, PASSWORD_VALUE,
FIRST_NAME, LAST_NAME, EMAIL, CONFIRM_VALUE, CREATED )
values (turbine_user_seq.nextval, 't', 'test', 'test', 'test',
'foo@bar.org', 'CONFIRMED', SYSDATE );

However the application allways threw an exception (see below).
Remark: I had to add Log.error(e) on line 201 in class
CreateNewUserAndConfirm to see this error.

Afterwards, I dropped all my database-tables and ran the scripts
turbine-oracle.sql and default_roles_permissions.sql again, this
time as user jetspeed. Because I thought maybe the synonyms caused
some trouble. But this didn't solve a thing, I still get this error:

[Thu Jun 21 13:17:45 CEST 2001] -- INFO -- Forced id retrieval - no
available vector
[Thu Jun 21 13:17:45 CEST 2001] -- ERROR --
        Exception:
org.apache.turbine.util.security.DataBackendException:
Failed to create account 'blowagie': ORA-00942: table or view does not
exist

        Stack Trace follows:
        java.sql.SQLException: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
        at
oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:168)
        at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTIoer.processError(TTIoer.java:208)
        at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.Oall7.receive(Oall7.java:543)
        at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTC7Protocol.doOall7(TTC7Protocol.java:1405)
        at
oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTC7Protocol.parseExecuteDescribe(TTC7Protocol.java:643)
        at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.doExecuteQuery(OracleStatement.java:1674)
        at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.doExecuteWithTimeout(OracleStatement.java:1870)
        at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.executeQuery(OracleStatement.java:538)
        at com.workingdogs.village.Schema.schema(Schema.java:140)
        at com.workingdogs.village.Schema.schema(Schema.java:107)
        at com.workingdogs.village.DataSet.<init>(DataSet.java:167)
        at
com.workingdogs.village.TableDataSet.<init>(TableDataSet.java:130)
        at
org.apache.turbine.om.peer.BasePeer.doUpdate(BasePeer.java:1666)
        at
org.apache.turbine.util.db.IDBroker.storeIDs(IDBroker.java:554)
        at
org.apache.turbine.util.db.IDBroker.getNextIds(IDBroker.java:371)
        at
org.apache.turbine.util.db.IDBroker.getIdAsBigDecimal(IDBroker.java:285)
        at
org.apache.turbine.om.peer.BasePeer.doInsert(BasePeer.java:746)
        at
org.apache.turbine.om.peer.BasePeer.doInsert(BasePeer.java:657)
        at
org.apache.turbine.services.security.db.DBUserManager.createAccount(DBUserManager.java:399)

About what table or view is Turbine complaining?
I can add new records using sqlplus, why not from the application???
How is this turbine version implemented?
Lots of questions, I hope there is an answer.

Re: OracleDriver not implemented

Posted by Bruno Lowagie <br...@rug.ac.be>.
Bruno Lowagie wrote:

> Any suggestions?
>
> [Thu Jun 21 13:17:45 CEST 2001] -- INFO -- Forced id retrieval - no
> available vector
> [Thu Jun 21 13:17:45 CEST 2001] -- ERROR --
>         Exception:  org.apache.turbine.util.security.DataBackendException:
> Failed to create account 'blowagie': ORA-00942: table or view does not
> exist

I think I found the cause of my problem.
Unfortunately I have a meeting rightnow, I will keep you informed
of the evolutions after my meeting.

Re: OracleDriver not implemented

Posted by Bruno Lowagie <br...@rug.ac.be>.
David Sean Taylor wrote:

> > For instance:
> > The INSERT bug in Oracle: it isn't solved.
> > This is what I get when trying to add a new user:
> >

> I don't see any error messages in your listing.

I added some logging in the 'catch' of CreateNewUserAndConfirm
and this resulted in this error:

So I guess jetspeed thinks the table TURBINE_USER doesn't exist?
Then why can I login as user 'admin' or 'turbine'?
I have granted INSERT rights to user 'jetspeed' so this can't be
the problem...

Any suggestions?

Posted by Bruno Lowagie <br...@rug.ac.be>.
David Sean Taylor wrote:

> I don't see any error messages in your listing.
> In fact that looks very much like my log file after the user is successfully
> created.
> Have you double-checked that the user is created

The user isn't created.

> Did you run the latest turbine-oracle.sql script to create the database?

I will check the new scripts rightaway.

> A NoSuchMethodError.....
> Are you sure you don't have any older versions of jetspeed.jar in your
> classpath?

The problem was partly solved after following Christophe's advice:
replacing jaxp.jar and parser.jar in the Tomcat lib by xalan and xerces.

Re: OracleDriver not implemented

Posted by Bruno Lowagie <br...@rug.ac.be>.
David Sean Taylor wrote:

> Have you double-checked that the user is created

The user isn't created.

> Did you run the latest turbine-oracle.sql script to create the database?

I checked: my sql script is adapted to my situation, but it should work.
You can find it here if you want to check:
http://www.lowagie.com/bruno/turbine-oracle.sql
http://www.lowagie.com/bruno/default_roles_permissions.sql
http://www.lowagie.com/bruno/privileges-jetspeed.sql

Are you sure the code doesn't do something like this:
insert into TURBINE_USER (LOGIN_NAME, PASSWORD_VALUE, FIRST_NAME,
LAST_NAME, EMAIL, CONFIRM_VALUE ) values ( 'test', 'test', 'my', 'test',
'test@lowagie.com', 'CONFIRMED' );

Instead of:
insert into TURBINE_USER (USER_ID, LOGIN_NAME, PASSWORD_VALUE,
FIRST_NAME, LAST_NAME, EMAIL, CONFIRM_VALUE, CREATED ) values
(turbine_user_seq.nextval, 'test', 'test', 'my', 'test',
'test@lowagie.com', 'CONFIRMED', SYSDATE );

I will try to have a look in the code where the insert should happen
and add some more comment in the hope to find what's wrong.

RE: OracleDriver not implemented

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
> For instance:
> The INSERT bug in Oracle: it isn't solved.
> This is what I get when trying to add a new user:

I don't see any error messages in your listing.
In fact that looks very much like my log file after the user is successfully
created.
Have you double-checked that the user is created

Did you run the latest turbine-oracle.sql script to create the database?

> Also in the current version I get errors when I log in as admin:
>
> This is what I get in my browser window:
>
> org.apache.turbine.util.TurbineException: Error rendering Velocity
> template:
> /controls/jetspeed.vm: Error rendering Velocity template:
> /controls/jetspeed.vm:
> Invocation of method 'getContent' in class
> org.apache.jetspeed.portal.portlets.NewRSSPortlet
> threw exception class java.lang.NoSuchMethodError

I just tested logging on as admin with tomcat and catalina, it works fine
for me.

Posted by Bruno Lowagie <br...@rug.ac.be>.
David Sean Taylor wrote:

> > Rebuilding is a very frustrating job.
>
> I recommend that you get a clean start.

It isn't CVS that's the problem.
Just the fact that the current CVS version doesn't work.

For instance:
The INSERT bug in Oracle: it isn't solved.
This is what I get when trying to add a new user:

[Thu Jun 21 10:16:09 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- SELECT TURBINE_USER.USER_ID,
TURBINE_USER.LOGIN_NAME, TURBINE_USER.PASSWORD_VALUE,
TURBINE_USER.FIRST_NAME, TURBINE_USER.LAST_NAME, TURBINE_USER.EMAIL,
TURBINE_USER.CONFIRM_VALUE, TURBINE_USER.MODIFIED, TURBINE_USER.CREATED,
TURBINE_USER.LASTLOGIN, TURBINE_USER.OBJECTDATA FROM TURBINE_USER WHERE
(TURBINE_USER.LOGIN_NAME='blowagie')
[Thu Jun 21 10:16:09 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- SELECT TURBINE_USER.USER_ID,
TURBINE_USER.LOGIN_NAME, TURBINE_USER.PASSWORD_VALUE,
TURBINE_USER.FIRST_NAME, TURBINE_USER.LAST_NAME, TURBINE_USER.EMAIL,
TURBINE_USER.CONFIRM_VALUE, TURBINE_USER.MODIFIED, TURBINE_USER.CREATED,
TURBINE_USER.LASTLOGIN, TURBINE_USER.OBJECTDATA FROM TURBINE_USER WHERE
(TURBINE_USER.LOGIN_NAME='blowagie')
[Thu Jun 21 10:16:09 CEST 2001] -- INFO -- Forced id retrieval - no
available vector
[Thu Jun 21 10:16:09 CEST 2001] -- INFO -- Unscheduled retrieval of more
ids for table: TURBINE_USER
[Thu Jun 21 10:16:09 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- JetspeedTemplatePage:
requested template = Error.vm
[Thu Jun 21 10:16:09 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- template exists:
/usr/local/etc/tomcat/webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/templates/vm/screens/html/Error.vm
returning /html/Error.vm
[Thu Jun 21 10:16:09 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- JetspeedTemplatePage:
calculated template = /html/Error.vm
[Thu Jun 21 10:16:09 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- template exists:
/usr/local/etc/tomcat/webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/templates/vm/layouts/html/default.vm
returning /html/default.vm
[Thu Jun 21 10:16:09 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- JetspeedTemplatePage:
layoutTemplate is finally /html/default.vm

Also in the current version I get errors when I log in as admin:

This is what I get in my browser window:

org.apache.turbine.util.TurbineException: Error rendering Velocity
template:
/controls/jetspeed.vm: Error rendering Velocity template:
/controls/jetspeed.vm:
Invocation of method 'getContent' in class
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.portlets.NewRSSPortlet
threw exception class java.lang.NoSuchMethodError

This is what I get in the jetspeed.log:

[Thu Jun 21 10:19:48 CEST 2001] -- INFO -- Entering JLoginUser action
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:48 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- SELECT TURBINE_USER.USER_ID,
TURBINE_USER.LOGIN_NAME, TURBINE_USER.PASSWORD_VALUE,
TURBINE_USER.FIRST_NAME, TURBINE_USER.LAST_NAME, TURBINE_USER.EMAIL,
TURBINE_USER.CONFIRM_VALUE, TURBINE_USER.MODIFIED, TURBINE_USER.CREATED,
TURBINE_USER.LASTLOGIN, TURBINE_USER.OBJECTDATA FROM TURBINE_USER WHERE
(TURBINE_USER.LOGIN_NAME='admin')
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:48 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- SELECT TURBINE_USER.USER_ID,
TURBINE_USER.LOGIN_NAME, TURBINE_USER.PASSWORD_VALUE,
TURBINE_USER.FIRST_NAME, TURBINE_USER.LAST_NAME, TURBINE_USER.EMAIL,
TURBINE_USER.CONFIRM_VALUE, TURBINE_USER.MODIFIED, TURBINE_USER.CREATED,
TURBINE_USER.LASTLOGIN, TURBINE_USER.OBJECTDATA FROM TURBINE_USER WHERE
(TURBINE_USER.LOGIN_NAME='admin')
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:48 CEST 2001] -- INFO -- User hasLoggedIn1: true
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:48 CEST 2001] -- INFO -- Created a CapabilityMap for
agent:  Mozilla/4.72 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; I)
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:48 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- SELECT TURBINE_USER.USER_ID,
TURBINE_USER.LOGIN_NAME, TURBINE_USER.PASSWORD_VALUE,
TURBINE_USER.FIRST_NAME, TURBINE_USER.LAST_NAME, TURBINE_USER.EMAIL,
TURBINE_USER.CONFIRM_VALUE, TURBINE_USER.MODIFIED, TURBINE_USER.CREATED,
TURBINE_USER.LASTLOGIN, TURBINE_USER.OBJECTDATA FROM TURBINE_USER WHERE
(TURBINE_USER.LOGIN_NAME='admin')
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:48 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- JetspeedTemplatePage:
requested template = /Home.jsp
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:48 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- template exists:
/usr/local/etc/tomcat/webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/templates/jsp/screens/Home.jsp
returning /Home.jsp
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:48 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- JetspeedTemplatePage:
calculated template = /Home.jsp
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:48 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- template exists:
/usr/local/etc/tomcat/webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/templates/jsp/layouts/html/en/default.jsp
returning /html/en/default.jsp
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:48 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- JetspeedTemplatePage:
layoutTemplate is finally /html/en/default.jsp
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:48 CEST 2001] -- INFO -- JetspeedJspLayout: set
response content type to text/html
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:48 CEST 2001] -- INFO -- JetspeedJspLayout: set
'screenJSP' to: /WEB-INF/templates/jsp/screens/Home.jsp
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:48 CEST 2001] -- INFO -- JetspeedJspLayout: forward
request to: /layouts/html/en/default.jsp
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:50 CEST 2001] -- INFO -- cache miss, object expired:
-1653569551|_display-normal|template-user-browser|action-portlets.security.UserBrowserAction
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:50 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- PortletFactory.getPortlet():
took a total of 1 millisecond(s) ->
-1653569551|_display-normal|template-user-browser|action-portlets.security.UserBrowserAction
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:50 CEST 2001] -- INFO -- cache miss, object expired:
-1653569551|template-role-browser|action-portlets.security.RoleBrowserAction
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:50 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- PortletFactory.getPortlet():
took a total of 1 millisecond(s) ->
-1653569551|template-role-browser|action-portlets.security.RoleBrowserAction
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:50 CEST 2001] -- INFO -- cache miss, object expired:
-1653569551|template-user-form|action-portlets.security.UserUpdateAction
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:50 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- PortletFactory.getPortlet():
took a total of 1 millisecond(s) ->
-1653569551|template-user-form|action-portlets.security.UserUpdateAction
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:50 CEST 2001] -- INFO -- cache miss, object expired:
-1653569551|template-role-form|action-portlets.security.RoleUpdateAction
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:50 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- PortletFactory.getPortlet():
took a total of 17 millisecond(s) ->
-1653569551|template-role-form|action-portlets.security.RoleUpdateAction
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:50 CEST 2001] -- INFO -- cache miss, object expired:
347675712|page-size-10|registry-Portlet|template-browser-portlet|action-portlets.RegistryBrowseAction
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:50 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- PortletFactory.getPortlet():
took a total of 1 millisecond(s) ->
347675712|page-size-10|registry-Portlet|template-browser-portlet|action-portlets.RegistryBrowseAction
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:50 CEST 2001] -- INFO -- cache miss, object expired:
347675712|page-size-10|registry-PortletController|template-browser-portlet|action-portlets.RegistryBrowseAction
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:50 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- PortletFactory.getPortlet():
took a total of 3 millisecond(s) ->
347675712|page-size-10|registry-PortletController|template-browser-portlet|action-portlets.RegistryBrowseAction
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:50 CEST 2001] -- INFO -- cache miss, object expired:
347675712|page-size-10|registry-PortletControl|template-browser-portlet|action-portlets.RegistryBrowseAction
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:50 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- PortletFactory.getPortlet():
took a total of 1 millisecond(s) ->
347675712|page-size-10|registry-PortletControl|template-browser-portlet|action-portlets.RegistryBrowseAction
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:50 CEST 2001] -- INFO -- cache miss, object expired:
347675712|page-size-10|registry-MediaType|template-browser-media|action-portlets.RegistryBrowseAction
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:50 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- PortletFactory.getPortlet():
took a total of 2 millisecond(s) ->
347675712|page-size-10|registry-MediaType|template-browser-media|action-portlets.RegistryBrowseAction
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:50 CEST 2001] -- INFO -- cache miss, object expired:
347675712|page-size-10|registry-Skin|template-browser-skin|action-portlets.RegistryBrowseAction
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:50 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- PortletFactory.getPortlet():
took a total of 1 millisecond(s) ->
347675712|page-size-10|registry-Skin|template-browser-skin|action-portlets.RegistryBrowseAction
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:50 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- template exists:
/usr/local/etc/tomcat/webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/templates/vm/controls/jetspeed-tab.vm
returning /jetspeed-tab.vm
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:50 CEST 2001] -- DEBUG -- template exists:
/usr/local/etc/tomcat/webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/templates/vm/controls/jetspeed.vm
returning /jetspeed.vm
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:50 CEST 2001] -- WARN -- Cache getEntry Called with
/WEB-INF/xsl/rss.xsl
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:50 CEST 2001] -- INFO -- Returning local cached URL
[Thu Jun 21 10:19:50 CEST 2001] -- ERROR -- Error rendering Velocity

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
> Rebuilding is a very frustrating job.

It shouldn't be. Using cvs is very easy. Here is a link that describes how
to checkout an apache project from the cvs head.

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/cvsindex.html

I recommend that you get a clean start.
Assuming you have already installed cvs:

# cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@jakarta.apache.org:/home/cvspublic login
password: anoncvs

# cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@jakarta.apache.org:/home/cvspublic checkout
jakarta-jetspeed

and then build the war file:

# cd jakarta-jetspeed/build

# build war

and then copy the new war file from jakarta-jetspeed/bin/jetspeed.war into
tomcat's 'webapps' directory

start tomcat, and go to http://localhost:8080/jetspeed

> Maybe it's time for a release 1.3.a2?

Yes, i agree with that. We still have a few loose ends, but hopefully soon.
Im also working on new documentation, which is desperately needed.

-------------------------------------
David Sean Taylor
taylor@apache.org
-------------------------------------

Posted by Bruno Lowagie <br...@rug.ac.be>.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Bruno Lowagie wrote:
> Now I can log in as an existing user, but when trying to
> create a new user through the web-interface, I get:
>
> Exception: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-01400:
>    cannot insert NULL into ("BLOWAGIE"."TURBINE_USER"."USER_ID")
>    at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:168)

I updated the CreateNewUserAndConfirm action to use the TurbineSecurity api.
This should fix the bug with Oracle, where the sequence id is not being
automatically created for new users.
I don't have Oracle running here, so could someone please verify that this
works on Oracle?
You will simple need to checkout this one file from the cvs head
(CreateNewUserAndConfirm.java) and rebuild.
It is tested on Hypersonic SQL.

-------------------------------------
David Sean Taylor
taylor@apache.org

Re: OracleDriver not implemented

Posted by Bruno Lowagie <br...@rug.ac.be>.

Bruno Lowagie wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have installed jetspeed 1.3.a1 on RH7.1 with Tomcat 3.2.2.
> When using hypersonicSql, I can make new users and log in without
> any problem.
> Then I changed the TurbineResources.properties file according to:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/site/install.html

But now I noticed that what is mentioned on the above URL
isn't complete.

I had to change this too:
database.adaptor=DBOracle
database.adaptor.DBOracle=oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver

Now I can log in as an existing user, but when trying to
create a new user through the web-interface, I get:

Exception: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-01400:
   cannot insert NULL into ("BLOWAGIE"."TURBINE_USER"."USER_ID")
   at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:168)

Grrr...