Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by James Mitchell <jm...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/20 03:14:53 UTC

Increasing distribution size [was: Re: Fileupload depende...]

Oh, dang!  Forgot to actually change it.

On Jan 19, 2008 9:03 PM, Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> wrote:
> > (I renamed the subject to attract the attention of any devs who would
> > likely have something to say about increasing the size of the distribution,
>
> > but are probably not following this discussion)
>
> Looks the same.
>
> > I could be wrong (it's happened in the past, rarely :) , but that setting
> > is not an out-of-the-box configuration.  It is simply a default setting
> > as to which multipart request impl to use.
>
> Meh; "default" means "out-of-the-box" to me.
>
> > If you create a Struts project and you drop in a <s:file> tag so that you
> > can have file uploading in your app.  To me this means that you have
> > "decided" to use File Upload functionality which (again, to me) is the
> > same as "deciding" to use jasper reports or "deciding" to use the jsf
> > plugin.
>
> If file uploading required the conscious decision to use a specific plugin,
> I'd agree. But it doesn't, as it stands now. The way things stand now (modulo
> your new file upload interceptor comment documentation) there's nothing in
> the documentation that implies anything special must be done to support a
> common-enough usecase.
>
> > I think the confusion here is because file upload should be pulled into
> > it's own plugin.
>
> That's fine, although I still have to agree with Antonio that uploading a
> file is common enough that it *should* work out of the the box without
> additional dependencies. Pulling it in to a plugin would at least make it
> clear that S2 doesn't support file uploading out of the box.
>

> d.

James Mitchell

Re: Increasing distribution size [was: Re: Fileupload depende...]

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.
My view; If the s:file tag is available from the core jars we need to ship
the dependencies to support it.

If we put on the website the S2 core does something then it should do it out
of the box, it shouldn't be a "Oh, it does half the stuff, but hey, we
couldn't be bothered to roll in the dependencies for some of the features so
don't expect it all to work first time".