Posted to dev@ozone.apache.org by "Elek, Marton" <el...@apache.org> on 2020/11/01 14:30:03 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Github issues vs Jira issues

Thanks the questions Arpit and Vivek.

I agree with you: the main question is how the existing workflows can be
mapped to the features of github issues.

We need to collect all the used workflows. I checked the two features
which you mentioned:

1. EPIC

Epics can be managed in Github with created "projects".

For example: https://github.com/elek/hadoop-ozone/projects

Seems to be slightly better than Jira:

  1. It can show all the existing / in-progress epic as a list
  2. It can show a Kanban board for all the epics
  3. Issues can be moved automatically based on the status of the PR.

2. FIXED VERSION / CUSTOM FIELDS

Yes, custom fields are usually handled by custom labels in Github, which
is slightly weaker.

However you don't need to create label for the fix versions and both
issues and PRs can be assigned to "Milestones"

Milestones are something like the versions and provide a progress view
out-of the box:

https://github.com/elek/hadoop-ozone/milestone/1

Do you have any other features in your mind which should be checked?

Thanks,
Marton

Posted by Uma gangumalla <um...@apache.org>.
I agree with many others here. I think the flexible query part is a very
useful feature from JIRA. If we have equivalent in gitgub issues, we can
try but may not be as immediate transition though.
I think people may need some time to get comfort with github
issues(personally I used(limited) git issues just for tracking issues of
internal repos(non apache)) . If there is any plugin to sync between JIRA
and Git issues, we can explore and see for some time whether everyone
comfortable.
Maybe it is a good idea to start voting to decide.

Regards,
Uma

Posted by Hanisha Koneru <hk...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Thanks Marton for starting the discussion.

I like the proposal of integrating issue tracking with the repo. It would greatly help with keeping the discussions in one place and avoid the extra step of creating a Jira.

I personally have never worked with Github issues and as such I am not familiar with the pros and cons. But considering the objections of everyone who has had experience with Github issues, I am not fully +1 with the proposal.

At the same time, I would like to try out Github issues and see the pros and cons. In Marton’s proposal, if we still keep the Jira creation mandatory in the trial period, we could try out Github issues and still keep the old tracking mechanism intact in the meanwhile.

Thanks
Hanisha

Posted by "Elek, Marton" <el...@apache.org>.

Thank you all the response, they were very value feedback and very good
collection of questions which should be answered before going forward
with github issues.

Based on the feedback, I suggest the following:

  1. don not enable the Github issues, yet

  2. Create additional github action to add labels / milestones to each
PR automatically (it will make easier to test the query functionalities).

  3. Create github action to close jira issue when PR is merged

  4. Create github action to create a Jira issue in the background when
PR is opened and HDDS is not included in the title (assignee can be
unknown in case of a new contributor).

  5. Create a wiki page to collect all the answers to the previous question.

These steps will improve the development experience without changing the
current workflow.

After having all of these points we can continue the discussion and
check benefits with more background knowledge.

Let me know what do you think...

Thanks,
Marton

Re: [DISCUSS] Github issues vs Jira issues

Posted by Aravindan Vijayan <av...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Thanks for taking this up Marton.

I played around with Github issues, projects & milestones. I like the
simplicity of the UI and the one stop place for all things related to
development. However, the objection around the project management related
limitations of Github seem valid. I am OK with trying out a couple of
projects using Github to see one what gains/loses from this transition.

Some related questions/observations.

   - Do reverts automatically re-open issues?
   - Fix Version is very heavily used in the Hadoop JIRA world. Can we mark
   issues as available in multiple fix versions using Github issues after
   backporting?
   - I am a heavy user of JIRA split panes, but I find that Github search
   just lists the issues that match the query results. Is there a split pane
   option?

Thanks & Regards,
Aravindan

Re: [DISCUSS] Github issues vs Jira issues

Posted by Rui Wang <am...@apache.org>.
From what I can tell above, one of the concerns might not be mentioned (or

Posted by Xiaoyu Yao <xy...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Mukul Kumar Singh <mu...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by "Elek, Marton" <el...@apache.org>.
Thank you very much, it's extremely useful insight.

Marton

ps: I have some proposals to resolve this thread, will add to the thread
as a new mail.

Posted by anu engineer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by "Elek, Marton" <el...@apache.org>.