Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by "Woodcock, Simon" <sw...@qualcomm.com> on 2009/04/09 17:16:23 UTC

Throughput Controller . .

Am I misunderstanding the 'Throughput Controller'?

To try and understand the 'Throughput Controller', I have created a simple test plan in the following format:

-TestPlan

--Thread Group [ threads 100, ramp up 10, loop count 1 ]

---Throughput Controller A [ Percent Executions 25.0 ]
--- BeanShell Sampler [ System.out.println( "A" ) ]
--- Summary Report

---Throughput Controller B [ Percent Executions 25.0 ]
--- BeanShell Sampler [ System.out.println( "B" ) ]
--- Summary Report

---Throughput Controller C [ Percent Executions 25.0 ]
--- BeanShell Sampler [ System.out.println( "C" ) ]
--- Summary Report

---Throughput Controller D [ Percent Executions 25.0 ]
--- BeanShell Sampler [ System.out.println( "D" ) ]
--- Summary Report

My expectation is that out of the 100 threads, 25% will execute A, 25% will execute B, 25% will execute C & 25% will execute D?

Is this an incorrect assumption? As I don't observe this behaviour.

If I change the 'Throughput Controller's' to Total Executions 25 - I get a total of 25 threads executed distributed in the following manner, A - 6, B - 6, C - 6, D - 7.

Any advice understanding this would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance,

Simon.

--
Simon Woodcock
Staff Engineer / Manager

QUALCOMM Poole Limited
Voyager House, 253-257 High Street North, Poole, Dorset, BH15 1DX UK
Tel: +44 (0)1202 440610, Fax: +44 (0)1202 440601
www.qualcomm.com<http://www.qualcomm.com>
This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential information that is legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Interception of e-mail is a crime under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521 and 2107-2709. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify me by reply e-mail at simon.woodcock@qualcomm.com<ma...@qualcomm.com> or by telephone at +44 (0)1202 207397 and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading them or saving them to disk. Thank you.

Re: Throughput Controller . .

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 09/04/2009, Woodcock, Simon <sw...@qualcomm.com> wrote:
> Am I misunderstanding the 'Throughput Controller'?
>
>  To try and understand the 'Throughput Controller', I have created a simple test plan in the following format:
>
>  -TestPlan
>
>  --Thread Group [ threads 100, ramp up 10, loop count 1 ]
>
>  ---Throughput Controller A [ Percent Executions 25.0 ]
>  --- BeanShell Sampler [ System.out.println( "A" ) ]
>  --- Summary Report
>
>  ---Throughput Controller B [ Percent Executions 25.0 ]
>  --- BeanShell Sampler [ System.out.println( "B" ) ]
>  --- Summary Report
>
>  ---Throughput Controller C [ Percent Executions 25.0 ]
>  --- BeanShell Sampler [ System.out.println( "C" ) ]
>  --- Summary Report
>
>  ---Throughput Controller D [ Percent Executions 25.0 ]
>  --- BeanShell Sampler [ System.out.println( "D" ) ]
>  --- Summary Report

It's not entirely clear from the above, but I assume that the sampler
and listener are added as children of the controller.

BTW,  the Summary Report could be added as a child of the Thread Group.

>  My expectation is that out of the 100 threads, 25% will execute A, 25% will execute B, 25% will execute C & 25% will execute D?
>
>  Is this an incorrect assumption? As I don't observe this behaviour.

The Throughput Controller operates on loops, not threads. As there is
only 1 loop, it's difficult to execute 25% of the loop.

What behaviour do you see?

>  If I change the 'Throughput Controller's' to Total Executions 25 - I get a total of 25 threads executed distributed in the following manner, A - 6, B - 6, C - 6, D - 7.
>

>  Any advice understanding this would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance,

Please see the documentation:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#Throughput_Controller