Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Selena Deckelmann <se...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/01 02:08:25 UTC

Request for response to an open source database survey for LCA 2010

Hi!

My name is Selena Deckelmann, and I'm giving a talk at LinuxConf AU
2010 called "A Survey of Open Source Databases". The goal of the talk
is to give developers and software architects an overview of the open
source tools that are out there, and a sense of which types of
problems your software is intended to solve. I'm contacting over 30
projects.

If there is a better person or mailing list to direct my questions to,
please point the way!

I've done some basic research, but it would very much help me to have
answers to questions I've included below in your own words. Also, if a
representative from your project has time for a short phone call, I'd
be happy to get answers to these questions by voice
(Skype/Jabber/regular old phone all works for me).

Anyway - the survey is here: http://bit.ly/8yarGr

About me:
I primarily volunteer with the PostgreSQL project for creation of user
groups, advocacy and support our project's systems infrastructure, and
I contribute to a replication system  called Bucardo. I'm also
President of Technocation, a 501(c)3 non-profit in the US that helps
organize OpenSQLCamp, WhereCampPDX and other un-conference events, and
distributes free video for open source technical events we're able to
record.

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me
http://endpoint.com - work

Re: Request for response to an open source database survey for LCA 2010

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
In case someone else would like to fill out this survey and would like
to peak at my answers, here's what I said:

Q: How would you describe your software and what it does in a sentence
or two? *
A: Derby is a full-featured pure Java RDBMS. It is easy to use and fits
in a small jar file.

Q: What feature(s) sets your project apart from your peers?
A: Derby's key strengths are the strengths of the Java platform:
security, portability, plugability. Derby is ideal for the following usages:

a) Shrink-wrapped Java applications which don't need an administrator.
b) Data-rich applications which are downloaded over the web into a browser.
c) Middle-tier caches to scale out access to enterprise databases.

Q: Who is the target user or audience for your database? Do you have any
case studies to share?
A: Java developers. For uses of Derby, see
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/UsesOfDerby A good summary of the
experience of writing a Derby-powered application can be found here:
www.papercut.com/...derby/ApacheDerbyAJUGPresentation.pdf

Q: What's the best document for new developers to read if they want to
get involved?
A: http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_comm.html

Q: What project was this forked from, if any? What motivated you to
create a new project, rather than build upon an existing project?
A: Derby is an open-sourced version of Cloudscape.

Q: Do you have a roadmap for the next year? If so, what is it?
A: http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenSixOneRelease

Q: Does anyone provide commercial support for your software? If so, who?
A: Sun Microsystems.

Q: What languages are drivers available in, and/or what protocols does
your database support? Are they up to date? Do you need help with any
particular drivers?
A: The Derby JDBC drivers work with any language which runs on the Java
VM, including Java, Jython, JRuby, and Scala. ODBC drivers are available
for other languages, including C and C++(see the ODBC Drivers section of
this page: http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/UsesOfDerby#Products_By_Type
) It would be great if someone could donate an ODBC driver to the community.

Hope this is useful,
-Rick

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Selena,