Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/30 15:47:13 UTC

[vote] HARMONY-3363 - Alternative Bytecode Verifier

We now have all requisite paperwork in place for
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-3363, so let's vote to accept:

[ ] +1 Accept this contribution
[ ] -1 Reject because...

As usual, 3 days unless someone complains they need more time.

Re: [vote] HARMONY-3363 - Alternative Bytecode Verifier

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Gregory

Re: [vote] HARMONY-3363 - Alternative Bytecode Verifier

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
+1

Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> We now have all requisite paperwork in place for
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-3363, so let's vote to
> accept:
>
> [ ] +1 Accept this contribution
> [ ] -1 Reject because...
>
> As usual, 3 days unless someone complains they need more time.

--
Oliver Deakin
Unless stated otherwise above:

Re: [vote] HARMONY-3363 - Alternative Bytecode Verifier

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
+1
On the 0x2E6 day of Apache Harmony Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> We now have all requisite paperwork in place for
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-3363, so let's vote to accept:
>
> [ ] +1 Accept this contribution
> [ ] -1 Reject because...
>
> As usual, 3 days unless someone complains they need more time.

--
Egor Pasko

Re: [vote] HARMONY-3363 - Alternative Bytecode Verifier

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Alexei Fedotov wrote:
> Tim,
> Thank you for explanations.
>
> I'm not suggesting to reject a contribution. I like an idea of
> Mikhail's algorithm which checks data flow, though I failed to
> understand how subroutine boundaries in one pass. I missed any
> reference to this in documentation as well.
>
>> Accepting here does not mean this contribution will be the one and only
>> bytecode verifier going forward.
>
> We agreed to keep duplication out of Harmony. I personally believe we
> need strong arguments for any duplication, and I do not see enough
> arguments to have two verifiers.

No we didn't -- we have two JITs and two GCs, and we maintain the
ability to run on multiple VMs.  Sometimes having a choice is good.

We may not want two verifiers, but this vote is not deciding that.

Regards,
Tim

Re: [vote] HARMONY-3363 - Alternative Bytecode Verifier

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Tim,
Thank you for explanations.

I'm not suggesting to reject a contribution. I like an idea of
Mikhail's algorithm which checks data flow, though I failed to
understand how subroutine boundaries in one pass. I missed any
reference to this in documentation as well.

> Accepting here does not mean this contribution will be the one and only
> bytecode verifier going forward.

We agreed to keep duplication out of Harmony. I personally believe we
need strong arguments for any duplication, and I do not see enough
arguments to have two verifiers.

Honestly, the thing I'm trying to avoid is a loss of my precious life
time. Currently I was looking into bugs in existing verifier, but
there are many other interesting things as well. I would be grateful
if any decision is taken on verifier replacement, merge, or whatever.

--
With best regards,
Alexei,

Re: [vote] HARMONY-3363 - Alternative Bytecode Verifier

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Mikhail,

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
+1 from Gregory, Alexey P, Mikhail F, Mark, Egor, Nathan, Pavel O, Alexey V,
Tim, Stepan, Oliver, Mikhail L

no other votes

vote passed

Posted by Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me too.

On 5/31/07, Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1
> 2007/5/30, Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>:
> > We now have all requisite paperwork in place for
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-3363, so let's vote to
> accept:
> >
> > [ ] +1 Accept this contribution
> > [ ] -1 Reject because...
> >
> > As usual, 3 days unless someone complains they need more time.

--
Mikhail Fursov

Re: [vote] HARMONY-3363 - Alternative Bytecode Verifier

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
+1