Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Martin Jericho <ma...@jabcreative.com> on 2002/04/19 05:12:27 UTC

Newbie questions

I've installed tdk2.1 and had a good look at the sample application.  Now I
want to create my own.

Q1:  Is there any documentation on how to create a project from scratch?

Q2:  If no such documentation exists, is my assumption correct that the best
way to do it is doing the following:
        1. Create a new directory for the new project <projectdir>
        2. Copy <tdk>/share/sample/build to <projectdir>/build
        3. Create other files as required for new project
        4. Modify <tdk>/build.properties to point to the new project
        5. Execute ant in the <tdk> directory
        6. Execute ant init in <tdk>/webapps/WEB-INF/build
    I'm sure there would be a lot of other changes to properties files and
things along the way, but is this the broad plan?

Q3:  In my application, I need to add a few fields to the turbine-user
table.  Can I combine all of the turbine security tables, id_table and all
of my tables into the one schema file or is there a good reason to keep them
separate?

Q4:  I've seen in another post to this mailing list that someone mentioned a
sample bookstore application.  Where is this?

I've found the navigation of the turbine website and documentation pretty
hard to use, probably because the documentation is contributed by many
people and never really consolidated.  There's a good chance that the
answers to these questions are there somewhere, but I haven't been able to
find them!
Thanks for any help.

Re: Newbie questions

Posted by Martin Jericho <ma...@jabcreative.com>.
I have determined that I don't actually need any security for the initial
version, and only very basic security in the medium term, which doesn't
require groups or roles.  In the long term I will need the more advanced
features, so I will revisit flux when the time comes.  I have actually
implemented a complex security system before, so I do know what I'm getting
myself in for if I write my own.

So now that I don't want to use security at all, I am starting to wonder
whether I need to work with the turbine framework at all.  Why can't I just
use the velocity framework together with standalone torque and just make use
of the other turbine utility classes directly from the jar file?  Then I
could use the latest version of torque, and would not have to start my
application by taking all of the flux stuff out of the sample application.

What other neat turbine features would I be missing out on if I did this?
Is there really no way of creating a new application from scratch without
starting with the sample application?

After taking a closer look at the enhydra solution, it looks like it's in a
similar state to turbine, with a lot of holes in the documentation and the
whole framework undergoing major changes in the next version.  So I think
I'll stick with jakarta tools.

The biggest problem I'm having is finding out how to get started!

Posted by Diederik de Groot <dd...@talon.nl>.
Hi Martin,

Re: Newbie questions

RE: Newbie questions