Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2005/11/28 19:07:41 UTC

DRDA product identifier

A while ago we obtained a new DRDA product id (DRB) so that Derby does
not have to masquerade as IBM's Cloudscape product (CSS) in order to
communicate with DRDA clients. Unfortunately, the current JCC client
raises a protocol error when our server identifies itself as DRB rather
than CSS.

I would like to define this as a JCC problem and require that JCC treat
the DRB product id like CSS.

1) Can someone at IBM push this issue forward and get JCC to make the
required changes?

2) I would like to understand our compatibility requirements here. Can
we require that clients upgrade their JCC in order to communicate with
10.2 servers? If not, how can we sunset support for the IBM-specific
product identifier?

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: DRDA product identifier

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:

>There do not thing there has  to be a one to one match of the Requester
>and Server  product id.

Let me try for a real sentence here. I guess I am flustered by fear of
regression.

I do not think there has to be a one to one match of the Requester  and
Server product id.

One thing to note is that the table on the opengroup site is just an
informally maintained table.  It helps prevent any potential naming
collisions. The product id is not really externalized in any way
otherwise as far as I know.  As Dan said, I think that CSS was
contributed with the code like everything else and of course DNC went
straight to Apache with the client contribution.

Kathey

Re: DRDA product identifier

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> I'm not in a position to speak for IBM. I can't tell the Open Group
> that IBM is relinquishing ownership of the CSS product id and donating
> it to the Derby open source effort. Someone from IBM has to do this. I
> suppose that person should also tell Open Group to abandon the
> separate DRB product identifer. So is this what we want:
>
> CSS is the DRDA product identifier for both Derby client and Derby
> server? Note that other DRDA providers use the same id for both client
> and server.

Derby client's current identifier is "DNC" and could stay the same.

There do not thing there has  to be a one to one match of the Requester
and Server  product id.   Some of the servers have multiple clients and
of course all can't match.    JCC doesn't match any of the servers it
connects to.

I would suggest our line in the talbe could look like this:

DRDA Requester:   DNC
DRDA Server: CSS

DRB goes away.

Would that be acceptable to you?

Now theoretically that documentation would regress  for older versions
of Cloudscape, but I'll take that over a product regression  breaking
every existing Derby client in the world any day.

Thanks

Kathey

Re: DRDA product identifier

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
I'm not in a position to speak for IBM. I can't tell the Open Group that
IBM is relinquishing ownership of the CSS product id and donating it to
the Derby open source effort. Someone from IBM has to do this. I suppose
that person should also tell Open Group to abandon the separate DRB
product identifer. So is this what we want:

CSS is the DRDA product identifier for both Derby client and Derby
server? Note that other DRDA providers use the same id for both client
and server.

Regards,
-Rick

Re: DRDA product identifier

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: DRDA product identifier

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
According to the Open Group (http://www.opengroup.org/dbiop/prodid.htm),
CSS is the Cloudscape product id. Derby has its own product id.

Re: DRDA product identifier

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>Rick Hillegas wrote:
>

>>A while ago we obtained a new DRDA product id (DRB) so that Derby does
>>not have to masquerade as IBM's Cloudscape product (CSS) in order to
>>communicate with DRDA clients. Unfortunately, the current JCC client
>>raises a protocol error when our server identifies itself as DRB rather
>>than CSS.
>>

>Is the server masquerading as IBM Cloudscape?
>
>I would say the DRDA product identifier 'CSS' was contributed to the
>Apache Derby product along with the code.

Yes,  I agree.  I think that a more sensible approach would just be to
request the description for CSS
be changed at  http://www.opengroup.org/dbiop/prodid.htm to be Apache
Derby Network Server and
the current client product id DNC be added to that list.  I really don't
get why we need to add DRB.

Re: DRDA product identifier

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: DRDA product identifier

Posted by Francois Orsini <fr...@gmail.com>.
Am not sure how backwards compatibility is not taken care of with Kathey's
first proposal...

I completely agree that the CSS acronym (aka DRDA Cloudscape Server product
ID) is not a big deal to have it become the one for "Apache Derby Network
Server" - the point was more in respect with if we ever end-up with 2
different core engines and your answer such as
"If IBM wanted to have their own DRDA identifier in the future, that of
course would be their decision and they would have to make any changes to
make that happen." sounds good (as the CSS product ID would then be
reclassified as "Apache Derby Network Server" along with DNC addded to the
list)...

Cheers,

--francois

Re: DRDA product identifier

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
These changes are now reflected on the Open Group website:
http://www.opengroup.org/dbiop/prodid.htm. The website states that Derby
owns the DNC and CSS product namespaces and that as long as Cloudscape
shares these product ids, Cloudscape will behave compatibly.

Re: DRDA product identifier

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
I think it's great that IBM is doing this, it seems like the right
approach to me.  I also think it's reasonable to say that one never
knows, policies/directions may change at IBM or any other company
using/shipping Derby, and some type of fork or mod may occur that
differentiates the company product from Apache Derby.  Let's hope that
never happens, it seems it would be a silly thing to do for all
concerned... :)

David

Re: DRDA product identifier

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: DRDA product identifier

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.

Re: DRDA product identifier

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: DRDA product identifier

Posted by Francois Orsini <fr...@gmail.com>.
However I forgot to mention in my previous reply that Kathey's first
proposal does make sense IMHO.

Re: DRDA product identifier

Posted by Francois Orsini <fr...@gmail.com>.

Re: DRDA product identifier