Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Harmeet Bedi <hb...@yahoo.com> on 2001/04/18 18:53:52 UTC

having separate blocks for protocol servers

I am planning to add different xinfo files for protocol servers in the next
few days. Please let me know if there are some issues or concerns.
Basically protocol servers(POP, SMTP, NNTP, IMPA) would be loaded via
assembly.xml not via James.

- This is more flexible
- Will clean james/James.java
- Allow more than one protocol server instance to exist for each protocol.
For example there could be POP3 available via Plain Socket and TLS. There
are many advantages to this, for example one could put up a firewall and
expose only the TLS POP3 outside.

Harmeet
Posted by Harmeet Bedi <hb...@yahoo.com>.
Checked in this stuff. I exercied most blocks except IMAP. I may broken
somethings though.

- The server name was part of the James context, now that the protocol
blocks are different, I am moving server name property to the block specific
configuration.
- The SpoolManger is a separte block. The James block adds entries to Spool,
and the Spool Manager processes them. The James block and Spool Manager
block both contain Spool information they attempt to process.

This is the list of blocks.
 1. James: provides MailetContext and MailServer role.
 2. JamesSpoolManager: Spool facility for SMTP messages
 3. DNSServer
 4. RemoteManager
 5. IMAPServer
 6. SMTPServer
 7. POP3Server
 8. NNTPServer
 9. NNTPRepository
10. AvalonUsersStore
11. RepositoryManager
12. ConnectionManager
13. SocketManager
14. TimeSecheduler.

[10-14] are Avalon related.
[2-9] have been obtained from 1

I had my environment set up differently than conf\config.xml and
conf\assembly.xml so there is a chance that I may have made a mistake in the
configuration area. May have broken something, will do more testing later
tonight.

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 09:53  18/4/01 -0700, Harmeet Bedi wrote:
>I am planning to add different xinfo files for protocol servers in the next
>few days. Please let me know if there are some issues or concerns.
>Basically protocol servers(POP, SMTP, NNTP, IMPA) would be loaded via
>assembly.xml not via James.
>
>- This is more flexible
>- Will clean james/James.java
>- Allow more than one protocol server instance to exist for each protocol.
>For example there could be POP3 available via Plain Socket and TLS. There
>are many advantages to this, for example one could put up a firewall and
>expose only the TLS POP3 outside.

Yeehaw !

Go for it ;)

Cheers,