Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Vincent S Hou <sh...@us.ibm.com> on 2018/06/25 21:15:01 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache OpenWhisk 0.9.0-incubating: main OpenWhisk module

Hi everyone,

This is to call for a vote for the release of Apache OpenWhisk 0.9.0-incubating: main OpenWhisk module.

List of JIRA ticket(s) resolved for this release can be found at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-213.

To learn more about Apache OpenWhisk, please visit https://openwhisk.apache.org/.

This  release comprises of source code distribution only. There is one module within this release. The artifact was built from  the following Git commit ID:
* openwhisk: 76dadd2, Bump gradle and scoverage version

The source code artifacts can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-0.9.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-0.9.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz

The MD5 checksum for each artifact can be found via:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-0.9.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-0.9.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz.md5

The SHA-512 checksum for each artifact can be found via:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-0.9.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-0.9.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz.sha512

The signature of this artifact can be found via:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-0.9.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-0.9.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz.asc

KEYS file is available here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/KEYS

The documentation can be found via:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-0.9.0-incubating-rc1/doc/INSTALL.md

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache OpenWhisk 0.9.0-incubating.

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours.
[ ] +1 Release as Apache OpenWhisk 0.9.0-incubating
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 Do not release and the reason

Checklist for reference:
[ ] Download links are valid.
[ ] Checksums and PGP signatures are valid.
[ ] Source code artifacts have correct names matching the current release.
[ ] LICENSE and NOTICE files are correct for each OpenWhisk repo.
[ ] All files have license headers if necessary.
[ ] No compiled archives bundled in source archive.

Thank you very much.

Best wishes.
Vincent Hou (侯胜博)

Advisory Software Engineer, OpenWhisk Contributor, Open Technology, IBM Cloud

Notes ID: Vincent S Hou/Raleigh/IBM, E-mail: shou@us.ibm.com,
Phone: +1(919)254-7182
Address: 4205 S Miami Blvd (Cornwallis Drive), Durham, NC 27703, United States

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache OpenWhisk 0.9.0-incubating: main OpenWhisk module

Posted by Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1 on the release.

Done validation on Mac

[X] Download links are valid.
[0] Checksums and PGP signatures are valid. (did not verify on this point
iteration)
[X] Source code artifacts have correct names matching the current release.
[X ] LICENSE and NOTICE files are correct for each OpenWhisk repo. -
Done via running scanCode
[X] All files have license headers if necessary.
[X ] No compiled archives bundled in source archive

As mentioned by others would be helpful to make steps more precise
where commands can be copied verbatim (like wget to download the
released artifacts)

Thanks for putting this altogether and automating the process! Would
be of great help in future
Chetan Mehrotra

Posted by James Thomas <jt...@gmail.com>.
+1 on this release.

Checklist for reference:

On 28 June 2018 at 09:03, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 9:22 AM Markus Thoemmes
> <ma...@de.ibm.com> wrote:
> > - [✓] No compiled archives bundled in source archive. (Other than
> gradlew.jar)
> > Is there a procedure to verify the last point? I quickly did a find for
> jar files and a find for executable files...
>
> I also use find + file to look for binaries, something like
>
>   find . -type f | xargs -n10 file | grep -v ASCII
>
> -Bertrand

James Thomas

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache OpenWhisk 0.9.0-incubating: main OpenWhisk module

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Markus Thoemmes <ma...@de.ibm.com>.
Hey,

+1 on releasing this!

Checklist for reference:
- [✓] Download links are valid.
- [✓] Checksums and PGP signatures are valid.
- [✓] Source code artifacts have correct names matching the current release.
- [✓] LICENSE and NOTICE files are correct for each OpenWhisk repo.
- [✓] All files have license headers if necessary. (Scanning files succeeded with "All checks passed.")
- [✓] No compiled archives bundled in source archive. (Other than gradlew.jar)

Some feedback on the readme: It's great in general! We could improve some bits, to make it easier for a "reviewer" to verify all the steps. (For example: Fully qualify the commands with the artifact rather than adding a placeholder, add "wget" commands to download the entities, add the commands needed for the codescan).

Is there a procedure to verify the last point? I quickly did a find for jar files and a find for executable files.

Thanks for doing this!

Cheers,
-m

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache OpenWhisk 0.9.0-incubating: main OpenWhisk module

Posted by Dominic Kim <st...@gmail.com>.
Hey~ Since I am on the biz trip, I am a bit late.

Definitely +1 on this.

Great work~! Vincent.

I tried all things based on the guide and found all things correct except
one small thing.
Regarding the following part in the guide, I think those commands should
run under "incubator-openwhisk/ansible" directory not under
"incubator-openwhisk".

## Deploy OpenWhisk

Stay under the directory of incubator-openwhisk, and run the following
ansible scripts one by one:

```
$ ansible-playbook -i environments/local setup.yml
$ ansible-playbook -i environments/local prereq.yml
$ ansible-playbook -i environments/local couchdb.yml
$ ansible-playbook -i environments/local initdb.yml
$ ansible-playbook -i environments/local wipe.yml
$ ansible-playbook -i environments/local apigateway.yml
$ ansible-playbook -i environments/local openwhisk.yml
$ ansible-playbook -i environments/local postdeploy.yml
```

Checklist for reference:
- [✓] Download links are valid.
- [✓] Checksums and PGP signatures are valid.
- [✓] Source code artifacts have correct names matching the current release.
- [✓] LICENSE and NOTICE files are correct for each OpenWhisk repo.
- [✓] All files have license headers if necessary. (Scanning files
succeeded with "All checks passed.")

Thanks
Regards
Dominic

Posted by Brendan McAdams <bm...@redhat.com>.
+1

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com>.
Can we upload a key to the PGP Global Directory and verify it?

-r

Posted by Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Priti Desai <pd...@us.ibm.com>.
I vote +1

Checklist for reference:
- [X] Download links are valid.
- [X] Checksums and PGP signatures are valid.
- [X] Source code artifacts have correct names matching the current
release.
- [X] LICENSE and NOTICE files are correct for each OpenWhisk repo.
- [X] All files have license headers if necessary. (Scanning files
succeeded with "All checks passed.")

Cheers
Priti

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache OpenWhisk 0.9.0-incubating: main OpenWhisk module

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
I vote +1

Checklist:
- [x] Download links are valid.
- [x] Checksums and PGP signatures are valid.
- [x] Source code artifacts have correct names matching the current release.
- [x] LICENSE and NOTICE files are correct for each OpenWhisk repo.
- [x] All files have license headers if necessary.
$ python ../apache/incubator-openwhisk-utilities/scancode/scanCode.py
--config ../apache/incubator-openwhisk-utilities/scancode/ASF-Release.cfg
incubator-openwhisk/
Reading configuration file
[/dev/whisk/git/apache/incubator-openwhisk-utilities/scancode/ASF-Release.cfg]...
Scanning files starting at [incubator-openwhisk/]...
All checks passed.
- [x] No compiled archives bundled in source archive.
Only one jar found in
`incubator-openwhisk/gradle/wrapper/gradle-wrapper.jar`
- [x] Build from source via `./gradlew distDocker`
- [x] Deploy via ansible
$ ansible-playbook -i environments/local setup.yml
$ ansible-playbook -i environments/local couchdb.yml
$ ansible-playbook -i environments/local initdb.yml
$ ansible-playbook -i environments/local wipe.yml
$ ansible-playbook -i environments/local openwhisk.yml
- [x] Run a serverless function
$ wsk property set --apihost 172.17.0.1 --auth $(cat
ansible/files/auth.guest)
ok: whisk auth set. Run 'wsk property get --auth' to see the new value.
ok: whisk API host set to 172.17.0.1
$ echo 'const main=()=>{return {body:"Hello Apache!"}}' >hello.js
$ wsk -i action update hello hello.js
ok: updated action hello
$ wsk -i action invoke hello -r
{
"body": "Hello Apache!"
}

Vincent,
Similar findings as Bertrand pointed out, let's open issues in release repo
to track, should be addressed in following releases going forward.
About private key for signature you can store it in the private svn
repository that only OpenWhisk PPMC have access.

-cs

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vincent S Hou <sh...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Luciano,

We will remove the md5.

Version number will be added.

We have a comprehensive definition about which kind of source files include long or short version of license header.
Please refer to this link: https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-release/blob/master/docs/license_compliance.md. Ansible files will be equipped with short version of license header. Both full and short versions are acceptable.

We are now doubling confirming the copyright of spray caching, and figuring out the gradle jar issue.

Thanks for the comments.

Posted by Vincent S Hou <sh...@us.ibm.com>.
Thank everybody for your active vote.

We have received enough votes to approve the release in this mail thread, but I realized that we still need to resolve the license issue for the spray caching and remove the gradle wrapper. I have made these changes on openwhisk repo, and will propose another candidate RC2 for folks to vote.

In addition, I will fix the some issues for the documentation as well. You can find them with the tag "release" at this link https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-release/issues.

This mail thread is closed. I will open another mail thread to vote openwhisk rc2. Stay tuned.

Thank you for your votes.

From: Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>
Date: 06/29/2018 08:36AM

Posted by Vincent S Hou <sh...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Luciano,

The issue regarding the license in Spray. Here is something interesting I just found:
We actually rewrote some implementation by copying some code from spray.caching.Cache and spray.caching.SimpleLruCache.
The spray version we use is 1.3.4, which used to be license apache 2.0 with Copyright © 2011-2015 the spray project.

However, spray is superseded by Akka http later, and the copyright became Copyright (C) 2017 Lightbend Inc.

I am not sure which we shall keep.

I tend to keep the one with Copyright © 2011-2015 the spray project, because this is the version we refer to, and the copyright it used to be.
For the latest version of Akka http, replacing spray, we cannot find spray.caching.Cache and spray.caching.SimpleLruCache, any more, as the code
evolves.

What is your opinion on it? Thx.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Rutkowski <mr...@apache.org>.
The vote will be open for at least 72 hours.
[X] +1 Release as Apache OpenWhisk 0.9.0-incubating

Posted by Ying Chun Guo <gu...@cn.ibm.com>.
I vote +1 for Release as Apache OpenWhisk 0.9.0-incubating.

Checklist:
[X] Download links are valid.
[X] Source code artifacts have correct names matching the current release.
[X] LICENSE and NOTICE files are correct for each OpenWhisk repo.
[X] All files have license headers if necessary.
[X] No compiled archives bundled in source archive.

Best regards
Ying Chun Guo (Daisy)