Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Yves Auffret <ya...@gmail.com> on 2022/11/11 14:24:55 UTC

Guacamole & special characters issue

Hi all,

I'm using Guacamole 1.4.0 (VNC Protocol) on Debian 10 with LXDE.

Everything works perfectly, except for a few special characters on the
keyboard: | (pipe symbol) and {} (brackets).

The result is the same regardless of the browser: Chrome (Windows or
macOS), Firefox (Windows or macOS) or Safari (macOS).

I have read and tried this without success
https://guacamole.apache.org/faq/#keyboard-shortcuts

What would be the best way to remap or rebind these keys to be compatible
with a browser on Windows and macOS?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Regards,
YA

RE: Guacamole & special characters issue

Posted by Yves Auffret <ya...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Sean,

I did that and logged out then back in, noticed some changes but
unfortunately it's not working. I will continue to investigate in this
direction and I will keep you informed.

Regards,
YA

Le 15 novembre 2022 à 19:54:09, Sean Hulbert (
shulbert@securitycentric.net.invalid) a écrit:

So from the VM OS, open a command prompt, run this command

1. Validate Debian OS Keyboard run following command from a terminal:
*localectl
status*

Should output something like this:

*System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8*

*       VC Keymap: en*

*      X11 Layout: en*

2. If it is not set to fr then run the following command:  *localectl
set-keymap fr *or from a graphical interface run *localectl set-x11-keymap
fr*

3. Validate key-mapping again run the following command from step 1

Should output something like this:

*System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8*

*       VC Keymap: fr*

*      X11 Layout: fr*

Log out and back in again and test.

Hope this helps.

*Thank You*

*Sean Hulbert*

*Founder / CEO*

*Work Ph: 925.663.5565*

*Security Centric Inc.*

*A Cybersecurity Virtualization Enablement Company*

*We don't just run you through the motions, Our labs teach you how to
think!*

 [image: SCILOGOMSP450]

System Award Management

*CAGE:** 8AUV4*

*AFCEA San Francisco Chapter V.P.*

If you have heard of a hacker by name, he/she has failed, fear the hacker
you haven’t heard of!

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:* This communication with its contents may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the
use of the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use or
disclosure is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including the
Electronic Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the
communication. Content within this email communication is not legally
binding as a contract and no promises are guaranteed unless in a formal
contract outside this email communication.

igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!!!

Epitoma Rei Militaris

From: Yves Auffret <ya...@gmail.com>

Date: 11/13/22 7:40 AM (GMT-08:00)

To: user@guacamole.apache.org, Michael Jumper <mj...@apache.org>

Hi Mike,

First of all, I would like to thank you for the very detailed messages and
for your help which is much appreciated.

Here are the results of my tests and a possible workaround.

All my tests were done on a PC with a French PC keyboard (AZERTY) and on a
Mac with the official French Mac keyboard (AZERTY).

On the Guacamole login web page in the username field I can enter all the
special characters: { } and | . Everything works perfectly in this field
whether on PC or Mac.

But when I am connected to the LXDE desktop via Guacamole (VNC mode) here
are my results:

*On a Mac with a French Mac keyboard:*

With the command: xev -event keyboard

When I press Alt_L + Shift_L + L which is the combination for the |. We can
see the event in xev but this key combination does not work in applications
with LXDE, nothing is displayed.

KeyPress event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,

    root 0x394, subw 0x0, time 82378885, (212,195), root:(256,286),

    state 0x10, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,

    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:

    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:

    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyPress event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,

    root 0x394, subw 0x0, time 82382500, (210,193), root:(254,284),

    state 0x18, keycode 50 (keysym 0xffe1, Shift_L), same_screen YES,

    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:

    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:

    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyPress event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,

    root 0x394, subw 0x0, time 82384698, (210,193), root:(254,284),

    state 0x19, keycode 51 (keysym 0x7c, bar), same_screen YES,

    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (7c) "|"

    XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (7c) "|"

    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,

    root 0x394, subw 0x0, time 82384787, (210,193), root:(254,284),

    state 0x19, keycode 51 (keysym 0x7c, bar), same_screen YES,

    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (7c) "|"

    XFilterEvent returns: False

*With a PC and a French PC keyboard and the key combination AltGr + 6
(which includes – (minus) and | (pipe symbol)).*

Sometimes it works but more often it doesn't.

(from altgr.txt)

…

KeyPress event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0x1200001,

    root 0x394, subw 0x1200002, time 570310, (36,51), root:(140,121),

    state 0x84, keycode 94 (keysym 0x7c, bar), same_screen YES,

    XKeysymToKeycode returns keycode: 51

    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (1c) ""

    XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (1c) ""

    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0x1200001,

    root 0x394, subw 0x1200002, time 570410, (36,51), root:(140,121),

    state 0x84, keycode 94 (keysym 0x7c, bar), same_screen YES,

    XKeysymToKeycode returns keycode: 51

    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (1c) ""

    XFilterEvent returns: False

…

*With a PC and a French PC keyboard and the key combination Ctrl_L + Alt_L
+ 6 (which includes – (minus) and | (pipe symbol)).*

This key combination works fine, I get the | Everytime.

(From ctrlalftleft.txt)

…

KeyPress event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0x1200001,

    root 0x394, subw 0x0, time 667274, (108.77), root:(212.147),

    state 0x1, keycode 51 (keysym 0x7c, bar), same_screen YES,

    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (7c) "|"

    XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (7c) "|"

    XFilterEvent returns: False

…

I managed to make it work on PC and Mac but using these key combinations:

PC with French PC keyboard

Normal use

With Guacamole (VNC) and LXDE

{

ALTGr + { or CTRL + ALT + {

CTRL + ALT + {

}

ALTGr + } or CTRL + ALT + }

CTRL + ALT + }

[

ALTGr + [ or CTRL + ALT + [

CTRL + ALT + [

]

ALTGr + ] or CTRL + ALT + ]

CTRL + ALT + ]

ALTGr + | or CTRL + ALT + |

CTRL + ALT + |

Mac with French Mac keyboard

Normal use

With Guacamole (VNC) and LXDE

{

ALT + (

ALT Right + (

}

ALT + )

ALT Right + )

[

ALT + SHIFT + (

ALT Right + SHIFT + (

]

ALT + SHIFT + )

ALT Right + SHIFT + )

ALT + SHIFT + L

ALT Right + SHIFT + L

This is good news but I don't know where the malfunction comes from with
the other key combinations.

Regards,

YA

Le 13 novembre 2022 à 07:58:21, Michael Jumper (mjumper@apache.org) a écrit:

On Sat, Nov 12, 2022 at 12:22 PM Yves Auffret <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:

At the moment, I don't know where the bug is.

Sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn't.

Most often it works when I type several characters before the pipe symbol
or the curly brackets.

When it doesn't work, I have to release all the keys, wait a bit and try
again, and sometimes by some miracle it works.

It's like LXDE (or Guacamole) can't quite figure out the key combination.

Try installing the "xev" tool (which logs X11 events, including
keypresses), run it within a terminal in the VNC session, and see what is
reported when keys are behaving as expected vs. not.

If you're seeing correct behavior in the keyboard tester at
https://guacamole.apache.org/pub/tests/guac/keyboard-test.html, then it's
unlikely that there's an issue with Guacamole's keyboard handling. The
keysyms that you see there would be passed exactly as-is to the VNC server.
Something as fundamental as the ability to type "{}" or "|" on a French
keyboard would also likely have been noticed:

https://guacamole.apache.org/faq/#probably-not-a-bug

It's not impossible that there is some modifier state getting stuck through
some difficult-to-replicate sequence of events, but the fact that you're
seeing incorrect behavior immediately suggests that is not the case. There
is also next to zero additional key event processing in the case of VNC -
unlike RDP, we can just send the events straight through untouched.

How is the combination of CTRL+ALT+SHIFT handled in Guacamole, doesn't this
event handle side effects?

The keys Ctrl, Alt, and Shift are sent immediately upon being pressed. For
Ctrl+Alt+Shift, when the third key in that sequence is pressed, the
Guacamole withholds *that* event and automatically sends release events
for the two that were pressed. For example:

1. Press Ctrl (Guacamole sends press event for Ctrl)

2. Press Alt (Guacamole sends press event for Alt)

3. Press Shift (Guacamole sends release events for Ctrl and Alt, and opens
the menu)

or:

1. Press Shift (Guacamole sends press event for Shift)
2. Press Ctrl (Guacamole sends press event for Ctrl)
3. Press Alt (Guacamole sends release events for Shift and Ctrl, and opens
the menu)

etc.

Guacamole will also automatically release ALL keys that it knows you have
pressed once the browser window loses focus (since Guacamole will no longer
be able to know whether you have released those keys).

- Mike

RE: Guacamole & special characters issue

[...]

With a PC and a French PC keyboard and the key combination Ctrl_L + Alt_L + 6 (which includes – (minus) and | (pipe symbol)).

Posted by Yves Auffret <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sean,

Posted by Sean Hulbert <sh...@securitycentric.net.INVALID>.
This may not be a guacamole vnc issue, it maybe the debian keyboard mapping inside the Debian OS, I ran across this issue years ago with early development on xrdp.  Once I am back home I will post my solution fix , it may help. Sent by Android Ai hijacked INS communications 6G
-------- Original message --------From: Yves Auffret <ya...@gmail.com> Date: 11/13/22  7:40 AM  (GMT-08:00) To: user@guacamole.apache.org, Michael Jumper <mj...@apache.org> Subject: Re: Guacamole & special characters issue Hi Mike,First of all, I would like to thank you for the very detailed messages and for your help which is much appreciated.Here are the results of my tests and a possible workaround.All my tests were done on a PC with a French PC keyboard (AZERTY) and on a Mac with the official French Mac keyboard (AZERTY).On the Guacamole login web page in the username field I can enter all the special characters: { } and | . Everything works perfectly in this field whether on PC or Mac.But when I am connected to the LXDE desktop via Guacamole (VNC mode) here are my results:On a Mac with a French Mac keyboard:With the command: xev -event keyboardWhen I press Alt_L + Shift_L + L which is the combination for the |. We can see the event in xev but this key combination does not work in applications with LXDE, nothing is displayed.KeyPress event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,    root 0x394, subw 0x0, time 82378885, (212,195), root:(256,286),    state 0x10, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:    XFilterEvent returns: FalseKeyPress event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,    root 0x394, subw 0x0, time 82382500, (210,193), root:(254,284),    state 0x18, keycode 50 (keysym 0xffe1, Shift_L), same_screen YES,    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:    XFilterEvent returns: FalseKeyPress event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,    root 0x394, subw 0x0, time 82384698, (210,193), root:(254,284),    state 0x19, keycode 51 (keysym 0x7c, bar), same_screen YES,    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (7c) "|"    XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (7c) "|"    XFilterEvent returns: FalseKeyRelease event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,    root 0x394, subw 0x0, time 82384787, (210,193), root:(254,284),    state 0x19, keycode 51 (keysym 0x7c, bar), same_screen YES,    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (7c) "|"    XFilterEvent returns: FalseWith a PC and a French PC keyboard and the key combination AltGr + 6 (which includes – (minus) and | (pipe symbol)).Sometimes it works but more often it doesn't.(from altgr.txt)…KeyPress event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0x1200001,    root 0x394, subw 0x1200002, time 570310, (36,51), root:(140,121),    state 0x84, keycode 94 (keysym 0x7c, bar), same_screen YES,    XKeysymToKeycode returns keycode: 51    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (1c) ""    XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (1c) ""    XFilterEvent returns: FalseKeyRelease event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0x1200001,    root 0x394, subw 0x1200002, time 570410, (36,51), root:(140,121),    state 0x84, keycode 94 (keysym 0x7c, bar), same_screen YES,    XKeysymToKeycode returns keycode: 51    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (1c) ""    XFilterEvent returns: False…With a PC and a French PC keyboard and the key combination Ctrl_L + Alt_L + 6 (which includes – (minus) and | (pipe symbol)).This key combination works fine, I get the | Everytime.(From ctrlalftleft.txt)…KeyPress event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0x1200001,    root 0x394, subw 0x0, time 667274, (108.77), root:(212.147),    state 0x1, keycode 51 (keysym 0x7c, bar), same_screen YES,    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (7c) "|"    XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (7c) "|"    XFilterEvent returns: False…I managed to make it work on PC and Mac but using these key combinations:

  PC with French
  PC keyboard

  Normal use

  With
  Guacamole (VNC) and LXDE

  {

  ALTGr + { or CTRL + ALT + {

  CTRL + ALT + {

  }

  ALTGr + } or CTRL + ALT + }

  CTRL + ALT + }

  [

  ALTGr + [ or CTRL + ALT + [

  CTRL + ALT + [

  ]

  ALTGr + ] or CTRL + ALT + ]

  CTRL + ALT + ]

  ALTGr + | or CTRL + ALT + |

  CTRL + ALT + |

  Mac with French
  Mac keyboard

  Normal use

  With
  Guacamole (VNC) and LXDE

  {

  ALT + (

  ALT Right + (

  }

  ALT + )

  ALT Right + )

  [

  ALT + SHIFT + (

  ALT Right + SHIFT + (

  ]

Posted by Yves Auffret <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mike,

Posted by Michael Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yves Auffret <ya...@gmail.com>.
At the moment, I don't know where the bug is.

Sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn't.

Most often it works when I type several characters before the pipe symbol
or the curly brackets.

When it doesn't work, I have to release all the keys, wait a bit and try
again, and sometimes by some miracle it works.

It's like LXDE (or Guacamole) can't quite figure out the key combination.

I removed all keybindings for LXDE in Openbox but it doesn't change
anything.

Le 12 novembre 2022 à 18:37:57, Michael Jumper (mjumper@apache.org) a écrit:

On Sat, Nov 12, 2022, 5:26 AM Yves Auffret <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Mike,
>
> I didn't modify anything for the keyboard in LXDE, I just tested in boot
> start "setxkbmap fr" or "setxkbmap us" or without specifying anything, it's
> the same behavior.
>
> I tested with TightVNC instead of TigerVNC but I get the same behavior.
>
> I came back to TigerVNC and did another interesting test.
>
> By opening a web browser (Chromium) on my remote LXDE desktop via
> Guacacole and going to the site
> https://guacamole.apache.org/pub/tests/guac/keyboard-test.html
>
> All the special characters I type are well recognized by the keyboard-test
> website!
>
> However, it still does not work with a text editor or any other program
> with LXDE.
>
> Is there a filter somewhere?
>
> I don't know what to think…

Perhaps the keybindings within LXDE have somehow been automatically weirdly
configured? I recall a similar issue with Gnome or MATE where all windows
would minimize when typing "D", and the cause was that MATE had somehow
configured itself to bind just "D" to "Show desktop" (rather than
Ctrl+Alt+D).

- Mike

Re: Guacamole & special characters issue

Posted by Michael Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yves Auffret <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hello Mike,

Le 12 novembre 2022 à 00:02:12, Michael Jumper (mjumper@apache.org) a écrit:

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 12:51 PM Yves Auffret <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You can confirm Guacamole's keyboard handling here:
>
> https://guacamole.apache.org/pub/tests/guac/keyboard-test.html

> this keyboard test.
>
> Do you have any leads to check ?

Did you make any changes to the keyboard configuration of the remote
desktop itself? Perhaps something is causing a mismatch between the
configuration of the environment and TigerVNC's expectations?

- Mike

Re: Guacamole & special characters issue

Posted by Michael Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yves Auffret <ya...@gmail.com>.
You can confirm Guacamole's keyboard handling here:

https://guacamole.apache.org/pub/tests/guac/keyboard-test.html

this keyboard test.

Do you have any leads to check ?

Regards,
Yves

Le 11 novembre 2022 à 19:40:56, Michael Jumper (mjumper@apache.org) a écrit:

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022, 10:33 AM Yves Auffret <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a dedicated AltGr key.
>
> I've done more tests, when I switch by software the keyboard language on
> my Windows PC client it works properly (except that the keys are misplaced).

It's the client machine that dictates the identity of keys pressed, whereas
the VNC server is required to make any adjustments necessary to cause those
same keys to be pressed within the remote desktop.

If you are manually changing the keyboard layout within the VNC session,
that might be defeating the VNC server's ability to make those adjustments.

It seems that this issue is related to the french keyboard language.

There should not be any issues with using any keyboard on the client side:

https://guacamole.apache.org/faq/#does-guacamole-support-my-keyboard-layout

Posted by Michael Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yves Auffret <ya...@gmail.com>.
I have a dedicated AltGr key.