Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Weissenbacher <MW...@net4you.net> on 2001/07/31 11:18:25 UTC

displaying "friendly" error page

i have the following problem: in some situatuations i need to shutdown
tomcat to have something reloaded (it can have multiple reasons, but mostly
i'm changing some library in the classpath).
the problem that i now have is: while the server goes down and then up again
(it can take several minutes with my application) the user only sees the
"internal server error" page when requesting servlets.
but i would like to display some friendly page like "Our Server is down for
maintainance and will be up again in a few minutes".
has anyone done this, it there a simple way?

i'm running tomcat 3.2.3 with mod_jk, ajp12, apache 1.3.14 on a suse linux
7.1 box

thank you for any suggestions

michael weissenbacher

Re: displaying "friendly" error page

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@bigpond.net.au>.
yep - you would do this in apache.  what is happening behind the scenes is
that apache is unable to contact tomcat and hence has a bit of a dummy
spit.  open up httpd.conf and find the ErrorDocument 500 line (generally
there but commented) and point it at your friendly page.

cheesr
dim