Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au> on 2002/03/20 01:50:54 UTC

[Fwd: Re: development status]

  Fops,

This forwarded message is a response to Nicola which was accidentally
sent to him only. Since I sent it the notes I refer to have been
installed in the CVS.

Peter

  Nicola,

Most of the design docs I have prepared have been noted on this list in
the past few months. Real Soon Now, those notes will be available as
part of the documentation on the CVS trunk, courtesy of Arved, who will
also apply my updates. At the same time, Keiron's overall design notes,
htmlified by Cyril Rognon, will be merged into the documentation. Both
will be under the "NEW DESIGN" menu, with my notes under "ALT DESIGN",
and Keiron's notes under "Understanding."

If you mean by "framework" the scaffolding surrounding and giving access
to the core, I have made few changes. I have changed Options because I
found the command line and config file handling inconvenient for my own
testing. Apart from that, all my changes are to the internal
configuration of the core, i.e., the FO->Layout->Area transformations.

I agree with what I understand to be Keiron's position on this: the core
is inherently tightly coupled, and presents a critical set of unresolved
design issues to developers. I'm one of those working in there, and the
work is far from complete. The only internal plumbing that I have so far
done is to isolate the fo parsing from the fo tree building by providing
a buffered single stream of events (currently XMLEvent objects, but
better called SAXEvents) to the fo tree builder. That, at least, is one
point at which the outside world might usefully intrude. However, I
intend to use the same model for communication between the core
components, defining FOTreeEvents for communication with Layout, and
FOTreeRequests for feeback, and similar communication for the Area tree.

As it happens, such a definition could be used by the structure
renderers, but that was not the primary purpose. Nor was it the primary
purpose of isolating the fo parsing to allow for external intrusions.
The main goals of all of my attempts to break the process into stages
with tightly constrained communication are classical goals of
modularisation: greater comprehensibility and damage control. This is a
bitch of a spec (with all due respect to the authors, whose
psychological health must have been severely tested by the ordeal),
dealing with a notoriously difficult area. Developers and maintainers
need all the help need all the help we can get in gaining and holding an
understanding of the nature of particular problems and the methods of
their solution.

At the moment, as I see it, there are still important unresolved issues
with properties, layout is a fuzzy cloud, and there is a big question
mark after the area tree. I do not believe that to be an exaggeration,
and I do not intend it as any criticism of the great work that has
already been done. It's just an indication of the degree of difficulty.
More core! Muzzle the Bitch!

Peter