Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Anatoliy Salistra <as...@Sailfish.Com> on 2001/04/03 16:22:13 UTC

Empty namespaces

Here's a problem. Very simple XML:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<el1>
    <el2>Text</el2>
</el1>

If, after parsing (Xerces1.3.1 DOMParser) I ask for the namespace of the
document (getNamespaceURI) the answer is 'null', as it should be according
to the method's description in the API. However if I go on to ask about
namespaces of the subelements, I get empy strings ''.
I would discard the whoe problem as my own ignorance of namespaces (which I
readily admit), but this problem seems to break SOAP: when SOAP server
returns a <Fault> client fails to unmarshall it - <faultcode> inside it
produces an empty namespace, whereas only standard SOAP or null namespaces
are allowed.

Thanks for comments.