Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Sunil Garg <su...@cumulus-systems.com> on 2015/04/20 06:21:40 UTC

how to delete logs automatically from hadoop yarn

How to delete logs from Hadoop yarn automatically, I Have tried following settings but it is not working
Is there any other way we can do this or am I doing something wrong !!

<property>
<name>yarn.log-aggregation-enable</name>
<value>false</value>
</property>

<property>
<name>yarn.nodemanager.log.retain-seconds</name>
<value>3600</value>
</property>

Thanks
Sunil Garg

RE: how to delete logs automatically from hadoop yarn

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@peridale.co.uk>.
I don’t think there is such configuration to trigger automatic removal of older files say more than 7 days through cron or Control M

# Clean up directory - get rid of old files

for i in $LOGDIR:14 $TMPDIR:4 $ETCDIR:7

do

        THE_DIR=`echo $i|awk -F":" '{print $1}'`

        NO_DAYS=`echo $i|awk -F":" '{print $2}'`

        find $THE_DIR -mtime +${NO_DAYS} -exec rm -f {} \;

done

#

HTH

Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

Author of the books "A Practitioner’s Guide to Upgrading to Sybase ASE 15", ISBN 978-0-9563693-0-7.

co-author "Sybase Transact SQL Guidelines Best Practices", ISBN 978-0-9759693-0-4

Publications due shortly:

Creating in-memory Data Grid for Trading Systems with Oracle TimesTen and Coherence Cache

Oracle and Sybase, Concepts and Contrasts, ISBN: 978-0-9563693-1-4, volume one out shortly

Posted by Smita Deshpande <sm...@cumulus-systems.com>.
Hi Rohith,
                In our application, there were around 3,62,738 containers which ran successfully before we encountered this issue. So under userLogs/applicationId/ we had 3,62,738 directories, each directory having container’s stdout and stderr file. We are not expecting to rotate these stdout and stderr file as its mentioned in jira 2443. These logs are of no use after certain time, for a week we may need those in case we need to troubleshoot why container failed or so.

Thanks,
Smita

I don’t think there is such configuration exist in the YARN currently. I think it should be able to handle from log4j properties.

But enabling log-aggregation, disk filling issue can be overcome. I think in the Hadoop-2.6 or later(yet to release)handling long running services on yarn is done in JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/i#browse/YARN-2443 .

>>> Because of these continuous logs, we are running out of Linux file limit and thereafter containers are not launched because of exception while creating log directory inside application ID directory
I could not get how continuous logs causing exceeding Linux resource limit.  How many containers are running in cluster and per machine? If I think, each containers holds one resource for logging.

Thanks & Regards
Rohith Sharma K S

Posted by Smita Deshpande <sm...@cumulus-systems.com>.
Hi Rohith,