Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org> on 2015/10/29 02:24:49 UTC

Is AOO 4.1.2 notably faster?

Just wondering …

Are people noticing a faster startup in AOO 4.1.2? In the BSDs we generally
prefer to use calloc over malloc + memset when it makes sense. A relatively
small change that I did, and was safe enough to be merged to the release,
might have had an effect there.

It’s too easy to be biased when you make such changes so it would be
interesting to get confirmation ;).

Pedro.

Re: Is AOO 4.1.2 notably faster?

Posted by "F C. Costero" <fj...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 7:24 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org> wrote:

> Just wondering …
>
> Are people noticing a faster startup in AOO 4.1.2? In the BSDs we generally
> prefer to use calloc over malloc + memset when it makes sense. A relatively
> small change that I did, and was safe enough to be merged to the release,
> might have had an effect there.
>
> It’s too easy to be biased when you make such changes so it would be
> interesting to get confirmation ;).
>
> Pedro.
>
> Hi Pedro,
  It is funny you mention this. Just today I installed 4.1.2 on a Linux
machine. I had not previously used AOO on Linux. I was amazed at the speed
of the start up. MUCH faster than 4.1.2 on Windows. Not having used a Linux
machine in the past, I can't say it is faster than it used to be but it was
impressive.
Francis

Re: Is AOO 4.1.2 notably faster?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 29/10/2015 Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Are people noticing a faster startup in AOO 4.1.2? ...
> It’s too easy to be biased when you make such changes so it would be
> interesting to get confirmation ;).

Yes, you are not biased, there are independent, unsolicited reports that
4.1.2 is much, faster on startup! You can read Italian, so you can take
a look at this month's archives of the Italian users list:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/openoffice-utenti-it/201511.mbox/browser

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Is AOO 4.1.2 notably faster?

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the feedback Francis,

I looked a bit into the MSVC documentation and it appears their calloc()
uses malloc() internally. It is likely that there are subtle compatibility
reasons for them to avoid some tweaks that linux and other systems do.

Maybe using calloc has secondary long-term effects on linux
or other platforms. At least for OpenOffice, the startup time is particularly
critical so it seems good to have the OS (libc and kernel basically) be
aggressive in this type of optimizations.

TBH, the real reason for the change was not performance but security,
and it’s rather curious that while I am sure other developers spent a lot
of time optimizing the startup, they had never thought of this change
before.

Enjoy!

Pedro.