Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de> on 2011/05/26 11:42:54 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: 2.2.19 (and probably earlier) won't let you make non-ssl vhosts on 443?

On 26.05.2011 11:10, Issac Goldstand wrote:
> I just upgraded a machine from 2.2.8 to 2.2.19 and suddenly Apache
> wouldn't let me run non-SSL vhosts on port 443.  A snippet like below:
>
> <VirtualHost a.b.c.d:443>
> DocumentRoot /home/foo/httpdocs
> ServerName foo
> <Directory "/home/foo/httpdocs/">
> allow from all
> Options +Indexes
> </Directory>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> Suddenly caused the following fatal startup error to be logged:
> [error] Server should be SSL-aware but has no certificate configured
> [Hint: SSLCertificateFile] ((null):0)
>
> Was this an intentional decision made some while ago that I just didn't
> know about or is it a bug?
>
> (I'd personally only expect to see that with an explicit SSLEngine On
> and no certificate/key files configured)

Could it be this entry from the 2.2.12 changelog:

  *) Set Listen protocol to "https" if port is set to 443 and no proto is
     specified (as documented but not implemented). PR 46066
     [Dan Poirier <poirier pobox.com>]

Regards,

Rainer

Re: 2.2.19 (and probably earlier) won't let you make non-ssl vhosts on 443?

Posted by Stefan Fritsch <sf...@sfritsch.de>.
On Thursday 26 May 2011, Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group wrote:
> > > Suddenly caused the following fatal startup error to be logged:
> > > [error] Server should be SSL-aware but has no certificate
> > > configured [Hint: SSLCertificateFile] ((null):0)

> > Could it be this entry from the 2.2.12 changelog:
> >   *) Set Listen protocol to "https" if port is set to 443 and
> >
> > no proto is
> >
> >      specified (as documented but not implemented). PR 46066
> >      [Dan Poirier <poirier pobox.com>]

> Yes thats it:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=727769
>
> You should use
>
> Listen a.b.c.d:443 http
>
> instead of
>
> Listen a.b.c.d:443
>
> to fix this.

The error handling really sucks. For example,

Listen 443
<VirtualHost *:443>
# nothing about ssl here
</VirtualHost>

gives the above message. Note the "((null):0)" at the end which should
be config filename and line number. Adding "SSLEngine off" to the
vhost still causes the same error, but this time with filename/line
number.

Adding SSLCertificateFile+SSLCertificateKeyFile to the vhost, but
ommiting "SSLEngine" changes the message to

"ops, no RSA, DSA or ECC server certificate found for 'localhost:0'?!"

Which is plain wrong, because the server does have a certificate. And
port 0, seriously? Does anyone have some spare cycles to improve this?

Cheers,
Stefan

RE: 2.2.19 (and probably earlier) won't let you make non-ssl vhosts on 443?

Posted by "Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group" <ru...@vodafone.com>.

Regards

Rüdiger