Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Jaun Oliver <ol...@mobi.ch> on 2013/11/22 14:07:58 UTC

[validator] EmailValidator, DomainValidator questions

Hi

I have got some questions regarding the EmailValidator.

The documentation states: This implementation is not guaranteed to catch all possible errors in an email address. For example, an address like nobody@noplace.somedog will pass validator, even though there is no TLD "somedog".

This is not true. When I try to validate the mentioned address nobody@noplace.somedog the validator returns false. The Validator does actually check the top-level domain. A look at the code reveals that this is done using the DomainValidator.

And here is the second finding: The domain list is not up-to-date. I understand that the recently "released" top-level domains like .kitchen, .tattoo and .bike are not supported yet (see http://newgtlds.icann.org//en/program-status/delegated-strings). But top level domains like XN--3E0B707E, XN--45BRJ9C and XN--80AO21A exist much longer (the first one since 2011). The Author of the DomainValidator class also mentions the "Authoritative and comprehensive list at http://data.iana.org/TLD/tlds-alpha-by-domain.txt" which does include these domains.

Are there any plans to update this list?

Regards
Oliver

In der elektronischen Korrespondenz kann die im Schriftverkehr übliche Vertraulichkeit nicht gewährleistet werden. Bitte überprüfen Sie daher sorgfältig, welche Mitteilungen und Beilagen Sie per E-Mail senden und erhalten möchten. Falls Sie dieses E-Mail irrtümlicherweise erhalten haben, bitten wir Sie, die absendende Person zu kontaktieren und dieses E-Mail mit allen Anhängen von Ihrem System zu löschen.

Avec la communication par courrier électronique, la confidentialité des informations n'est pas garantie comme elle l'est usuellement dans la correspondance écrite. Veuillez donc être vigilant lorsque vous envoyez ou recevez des communications et pièces jointes par courriel. Si vous avez reçu ce courriel par erreur, nous vous prions de contacter l'expéditeur/trice et de l'effacer avec toutes les pièces jointes de votre système.

Re: [validator] EmailValidator, DomainValidator questions

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
We really need to remove the TLD check from domain validation.

"noplace.somedog" is a valid domain in the sense that it is properly
formatted, but it is not a valid domain in the sense that the TLD does
not exist. That distinction is missing in the domain Validator. It would
be best to have two methods: one that checks the domain format, and
another that checks if the domain exists.

Adrian Crum
Sandglass Software
www.sandglass-software.com