Posted to ojb-dev@db.apache.org by Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org> on 2005/04/05 16:21:00 UTC

Release HOWTO

Very rough form, but what to do in order to push a release

Making a Release
- [ ] Update for the current branch of HEAD
     - [ ] "cvs up -dP 2>&1 | egrep ^[\?]" is a useful command for this
- [ ] Tag the release
     - [ ] Tag naming conventions are OJB_MAJOR_MINOR_BUILD
     - [ ] cvs tag TAG_NAME
- [ ] Remove any jars not in CVS
- [ ] Ensure you have jdo.jar in your lib directory
- [ ] Ensure you have the most recent Apache Forrest installed
     - [ ] forrest.apache.org <http://forrest.apache.org/>
- [ ] Update the major/minor/build properties in build.properties to
       reflect version
     - [ ] major.minor.build is the scheme
- [ ] Update the versiondate property in build.properties
- [ ] Do a CVS checkin of the build.properties
- [ ] Copy the xml-commons-resolver jar file into your ant classpath
     - [ ] ie, ~/.ant/lib/
- [ ] ant clean
- [ ] ant release
- [ ] cd dist
     - [ ] md5sum each file (following ruby script may help)
               #!/usr/bin/env ruby

               # execute "find . | xargs md5sum > md5sums" in the dist/
directory first
               # create and run this script from the dist/ directory as
well
               File.open('md5sums', 'r') do |file|
                 file.each do |line|
                   hash, name = line.split "  ./"
                   unless name =~ /md5/ or name =~ /gpg/ or name =~ /asc/
                     File.open("#{name.chomp}.md5", "w") do |out|
                       out.puts hash
                     end
                   end
                 end
               end
     - [ ] gpg sign each file
               The following bash script may help

               for x in $(find . | egrep -v md5 | egrep -v gpg | egrep
-v asc); do   gpg --armor --detach-sign $x; done
- [ ] create a temp dir on minotaur
- [ ] scp everything in dist/ to that temp dir (inlcuding the .asc and
       .md5 files)
- [ ] ssh up to minotaur
- [ ] cd temp
- [ ] "mkdir /www/mkdir /www/www.apache.org—db-ojb-
       <http://www.apache.org/dist/db/ojb/db-ojb->[VERSION]"
- [ ] cp * /www/www.apache.org—db-ojb-1.0.2
       <http://www.apache.org/dist/db/ojb/db-ojb-1.0.2>/
- [ ] cd ../
- [ ] mkdir ojb-VERSION
- [ ] cp temp/db-ojb-VERSION-website.tgz ./ojb-VERSION
- [ ] cd ojb-VERSION
- [ ] tar -zxvf db-ojb-*
     - [ ] It unpacks in directory you are in, ick
- [ ] cd /www/db.apache.org/
- [ ] cp -r ~/ojb-VERSION .
- [ ] mv ojb ojb.[OLD VERSION] && mv ojb.[VERSION] ojb

Re: Release HOWTO

Posted by Jason Pyeron <jp...@pdinc.us>.
On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Armin Waibel wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> thank you very much, this make things clearer.
>
> But I'm using w2k on my PC (I'm ashamed of this ;-)) so the md5sum script
> will not work.

md5sum can be written as a one or two liner in java, may I suggest that?

-                                                               -
- Jason Pyeron                      PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Partner & Sr. Manager              #1 2739 Saint Paul Street  -
- +1 (410) 808-6646 (c)              Baltimore, Maryland 21218  -
-                                                               -

privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you
have received it in error, purge the message from your system and
notify the sender immediately.  Any other use of the email by you
is prohibited.

Re: Release HOWTO

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@chariotsolutions.com>.
On Apr 5, 2005, at 11:19 AM, Armin Waibel wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> thank you very much, this make things clearer.
>
> But I'm using w2k on my PC (I'm ashamed of this ;-)) so the md5sum
> script will not work.
> Is it possible to do that via ssh on the minotaur server?
> Is it possible to put the script in OJB's directory so that it can be
> used on minotaur?
> Is it possible to create a script doing md5sum, unpack the
> documentation (maybe with check for .tar and .zip files), move 'ojb'
> to 'old_ojb' and move 'new_ojb' to 'ojb'?
>
> Really great would be a shell script which expects a .tar file ( the
> packed /dist directory), the name of the 'old_ojb' directory (to move
> the old version to that) and executes all commands shown below.
> Something like
> ./release.sh ./db-ojb-1.0.3-dist.tar ./old_ojb_1.0.2

could do this =) The only tricksy part is the gpg signing, you'll need
to have your keychain on minotaur. Will see what i can do.

-Brian

Re: Release HOWTO

Posted by Armin Waibel <ar...@apache.org>.
Martin Kalén wrote:
> Armin Waibel wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to do that via ssh on the minotaur server?
>

> minotaur is changing into "people.apache.org", there you have an
> "md5" command - so it should be possible to share some release scripts
> among the group there.
>
> ("people" currently points to minotaur, that is running FreeBSD
> 4.11-STABLE)
>
>> Really great would be a shell script which expects a .tar file ( the
>> packed /dist directory), the name of the 'old_ojb' directory (to move
>> the old version to that) and executes all commands shown below.
>> Something like
>> ./release.sh ./db-ojb-1.0.3-dist.tar ./old_ojb_1.0.2
>

> That should definately be one of our goals, since more people could
> easily package a release. I can have look at this.

It will be great if you or Brian would do that.

regards,
Armin

Re: Release HOWTO

Posted by Martin Kalén <mk...@apache.org>.