Posted to dev@systemml.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/13 21:50:58 UTC

SystemML Branch for any fixes related to Spark 1.6x

We have created the following branch to track Spark 1.6 fixes :
origin/branch-systemml-spark-1.6

Note that, fixes that go into master, and are also affecting 1.6, they
should be cherry-picked to the 1.6 branch as well.

As for checking out, you will need to do something like the steps below
(your preference might change some steps)

git checkout -b branch-systemml-spark-1.6 origin/branch-systemml-spark-1.6
git branch --set-upstream-to origin/branch-systemml-spark-1.6
branch-systemml-spark-1.6

this last one is like:

git branch --set-upstream-to origin/my_remote_branch my_local_branch

For creating dev branches for 1.6, first go to you local 1.6 branch and
continue with your regular steps such as git branch -b JIRA-222

And good luck !!!

--
Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975

Re: SystemML Branch for any fixes related to Spark 1.6x

Posted by Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for creating the branch Luciano. I agree with Mike's suggestion
that "branch-0.12" might be clearer.

Deron

--
Deron Eriksson
Spark Technology Center

Re: SystemML Branch for any fixes related to Spark 1.6x

Posted by du...@gmail.com.
So the rename was to prevent confusion around what types of additions should be added to the branch. We want to apply any crucial bug fixes that affect our 0.12 release to the 0.12 branch in support of future 0.12.x releases, but we don't want to backport any brand new features to support Spark 1.6.  Thus, maintaining a semantic name of `branch-0.12` should keep the confusion low, and keep it clear that only bug fixes will be added in support of future 0.12.x bug fix releases.  This is the common practice in other similar projects.

-Mike

Posted by Arvind Surve <ac...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Mike Dusenberry <du...@gmail.com>.
Alright, I've updated the branch to `branch-0.12`, and cherry picked a few
commits on top that looked necessary.  We can use this branch to finish the
0.12 release, and to provide any bug fixes.  For commits specifically
related to the release, such as cutting a rc2 for 0.12, just push them to
this branch.  Otherwise, if a defect is found that needs to be fixed before
releasing 0.12, fix it in the master first, and then cherry pick that
commit to the `branch-0.12` branch.

- Mike

--

Michael W. Dusenberry