Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/20 23:34:22 UTC

Re: NEWBIE: Submitting patches

Patches get committed when one of the committers review the patch,
find nothing wrong with it, and apply it.   I'm not in a position to
apply any patches currently, but your patch looks good to me.   What
might help to get this patch applied faster is to provide an example
showing broken behavior beforehand, and demonstrating that the
behavior is fixed now.   Make it easy for the committer to test your
patch.   Unit tests are even better ways to provide this testing, but
I don't think they're required.

Note that it's probably best to post questions like these to the dev
mailing list so they don't get lost in the user mailing list.   I've
redirected my reply to your message to the dev list.  I think it's
also appropriate to mention the availability of the patch again on the
dev list if you don't hear anything after a week.

Posted by kindsol <ki...@hotpop.com>.
Thanks for the advice Mike.  It looks like this issue is assigned to
Thomas Spiegl.  Tom you around?

I've updated the issue comment to explain the fix better.
See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMAHAWK-83

Here is what the patch fixes:

This patch is very important because EL values containing urls are
not currently accepted, for example:

<t:navigationMenuItem itemLabel="gotoFoo" action="http://
www.foo.com"  /> works just fine, but
<t:navigationMenuItem itemLabel="gotoFoo" action="#
{msg.fooUrlString}"  /> doesn't -- it is interpreted as an action
method.

Users who need to localize/internationalize their jscook menu
component, cannot currently do so.  With the new "url" tag attribute
as provided by this patch, the action tag is no longer overloaded --
any expression or value in the url attribute is evaluated as a url,
for example with this patch:

<t:navigationMenuItem itemLabel="gotoFoo" url="http://www.foo.com"  /
 > works, and also
<t:navigationMenuItem itemLabel="gotoFoo" url="#{msg.fooUrlString}"  /
 > works!

This change is necessary for users who need to localize/