Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/28 22:15:23 UTC

Javadoc plugin with Javadoc 8: error fetching URLs

Running a few of my projects under Java 8, I found that the
maven-javadoc-plugin won't accept <link> configuration items that work
under Javadoc 6.

For example, I have this:

<link>http://mvel.codehaus.org/javadoc/2.0</link>

With Javadoc 8 installed, whatever the maven-javadoc-plugin is doing to
feed this URL to javadoc isn't working and I get:

[WARNING] javadoc: warning - Error fetching URL:
http://mvel.codehaus.org/javadoc/2.0

This works fine using Javadoc 6.

Is this a known issue, or should I file a bug?

Best,
Laird

--
http://about.me/lairdnelson

Re: Javadoc plugin with Javadoc 8: error fetching URLs

Posted by Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK.  Patch submitted for MJAVADOC-393<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MJAVADOC-393>
> .
>
> I've also opened http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MJAVADOC-394 and
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MJAVADOC-395 and am in the process of
> submitting patches for them and cross-linking them together.

This work is now complete; kindly let me know if there are additional
changes to be made.
MJAVADOC-395<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MJAVADOC-395>can serve as
the "umbrella" bug for all three; it has links to related bugs.

Best,
Laird

Posted by Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
we'll try to not be overly choosy

but both as Maven developper and as Maven user, I prefer to have separate
focused issues with focused bug descriptions, then separate patches

thanks for your help

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Fails under javadoc 8.  I'll file a bug with Oracle; it appears that the
> -link option is nonfunctional.

Found the issue, I think; filed
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MJAVADOC-393to track it.

Basically, for unknown reasons, javadoc version 8 requires a trailing slash
at the end of its -link options.  So this works:

javadoc -link http://foo.bar/baz*/* ...

...but this does not:

javadoc -link http://foo.bar/baz ...

Line 3932 of AbstractJavadocMojo.java is responsible for programmatically
stripping trailing slashes—which of course works fine for earlier versions
of javadoc.

(Probably while someone's in there they should add formal support for the
Java 8 API locations, etc. as well.)

Best,
Laird

Posted by Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <bm...@batmat.net>.
Just a guess: Maven basically only delegates to the javadoc tool provided
by the JDK. Did you try without Maven?
Java 8's javadoc has been added a much more stringent parser, so you might
be encountering
http://blog.joda.org/2014/02/turning-off-doclint-in-jdk-8-javadoc.html ?

> Running a few of my projects under Java 8, I found that the
> maven-javadoc-plugin won't accept <link> configuration items that work
> under Javadoc 6.
>
> For example, I have this:
>
> <link>http://mvel.codehaus.org/javadoc/2.0</link>
>

> With Javadoc 8 installed, whatever the maven-javadoc-plugin is doing to
> feed this URL to javadoc isn't working and I get:
>
> [WARNING] javadoc: warning - Error fetching URL:
> http://mvel.codehaus.org/javadoc/2.0
>

> This works fine using Javadoc 6.
>
> Is this a known issue, or should I file a bug?
>
> Best,
> Laird
>
> --
> http://about.me/lairdnelson