Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de> on 2002/04/23 00:19:20 UTC

Cleaning up bugzilla and next maintenance release

Hi committers,
as you probably noticed, i started to rummage around in
Bugzilla, searching for bugs still in existence and learning
more about current and persistent problems.

Apart from the keep-* problem there are the following issues:
- Other unimplemented or incompletely implemented elements
  and attributes. In particular:
   o fo:table-and-caption because DocBook uses this
   o fo:inline-container
   o common properties of fo:inline
   o whitespace handling attributes
   o a few shorthands
- Height/BPD of block elements other than table.
- Padding for fo:block (and perhaps other block elements)
- Margins for tables, if that's a bug (see recent posts)
- Better error reporting, in particular:
   o Report structure violations properly (for example don't
     drop fo:table-rows which are not children of
     fo:table-(body|header|footer) silently)
   o Notify about attributes which shouldn't be there or
     are not implemented. Currently, this is horribly
     inconsistently handled.
   o A few more sensible messages for attributes that are
     missing. I think, if a master-reference is missing,
     claiming it has no proper value is misleading.
- Link hotspots. I think i have some unique bug reports
  to contribute in addition to the respectable set already
  in place :-)
- Text loss near fo:inline and -horror!- character references!
- Image scaling.
Not yet in Bugzilla, i think:
- Problems with properties of hypenated words (many
  are only applied to the last part).
- conditional-page-master last
- Clipping (overflow="hide" or something)
Probably further down the ToDo list:
- Better handling of forward ref page-number-citations
   (reformat line or something). Hopefully solvable locally.
- Sensible algorithm to handle leader-length.maximum="100%",
   perhaps combined with point above. Should be localised
   to a line, therefore only moderatly hard. This is definitely
   a "must have".
- PDF extensions, like encrypting. Perhaps integration with some
   other project.

I think i'll leave Bugzilla alone until the next bug summary
next weekend.

Questions:
Will there be another maintenance release before something comes
out of the redesign?
If so, when? Roadmap?
If so, which should be the problems solved? Pick from above or
add whatever you think should be added.

Further question: Is the duplicate id bug fixed in all its
incarnations?

Oops: The FAQ goes along slowly, as usual. Converted to the
FAQ-with-sections DTD referenced recently on the forrest-dev
list.

Thanks
J.Pietschmann

Re: Cleaning up bugzilla and next maintenance release

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Hi committers,
> as you probably noticed, i started to rummage around in
> Bugzilla, searching for bugs still in existence and learning
> more about current and persistent problems.

Great work, I hope I can help a bit soon.

[..]

> Questions:
> Will there be another maintenance release before something comes
> out of the redesign?

Yes, why not ;-)
We already have improved logging, JAXP, background-image support,
new hyphenation patterns.

> If so, when? Roadmap?

I'd say in "some weeks" (don't know when batik 1.5 is ready) and
IMHO setting deadlines doesn't work very well in open source
projects where most developers do the work in their (limited)
spare time.

> If so, which should be the problems solved? Pick from above or
> add whatever you think should be added.

Top of my todo list:
-Upgrade xercex/xalan
-EBCDIC patch
-check infinite loops with tables (I think there are still problems)
-links in static content
-test with docbook stylesheets

> Further question: Is the duplicate id bug fixed in all its
> incarnations?

Example from bug #3007 works, bug #3497 still exists..
I'll put this on my todo list if no one else volunteers

> Oops: The FAQ goes along slowly, as usual. Converted to the
> FAQ-with-sections DTD referenced recently on the forrest-dev
> list.

Will this be merged with the FAQ from Alex ?

> Thanks
> J.Pietschmann

Christian

Re: Cleaning up bugzilla and next maintenance release

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch>.
Thanks for your effort to clean up BugZilla!

Just to tell you, what I'm currently working on:
- Last week I started to look into clipping. I realized it requires some
  rearranging of code in the PDF renderer. And understanding the spec in
  this regard is not that simple, either.
- You've probably read my posts about padding on fo:block. Since there
  are some work-arounds (using fo:table), I don't think this needs to be
  fixed in the branch.
- My biggest problem is lack of time. Don't know how to fix that one,
  yet. :-)

Cheers,
Jeremias Maerki

Re: Cleaning up bugzilla and next maintenance release

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.
Thanks for doing the bugzilla stuff.

To answer some of your questions.
Yes we will need at least another release from the maintenance branch.
I have been thinking about extending the plan extension thing to produce a
roadmap picture (like mozilla has) so we can present the information about
releases, branches etc.
To summarize:
We need to have a release that is compatible with the batik1.5 final
release so this is a dependancy.

A release from the redesigned code, I suggest that we aim for a dev
release that has a minimum of most of the functionality of the maintenance
branch.

On 2002.04.23 00:19 J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Hi committers,
> as you probably noticed, i started to rummage around in
> Bugzilla, searching for bugs still in existence and learning
> more about current and persistent problems.
<snip>