Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2003/09/01 06:14:27 UTC

[merlin] 3.0 binary update 20030901

An update to the Merlin distribution is available at the
following url:

   http://www.ibiblio.org/merlin/distributions/20030901

The 20030901 update includes:

   1. model driven extension framework based on the
      deployment extension handler from Aaron adapted
      to leverage the 3.0 meta-model

   2. resolution of some issues relating to extension
      handling in general concerning classloaders and
      availablity of excalibur lifecycle extension
      classes

   3. bug fix concerning release of components when an
      appliance is being decommissioned

   4. new tutorials covering dependency management
      (automatic and manual) and examples of excalibur
      and the new model-driven extension framework

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

http://avalon.apache.org/sandbox/merlin

Re: [merlin] configuration files

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Alexis Agahi wrote:

>On Wednesday 17 September 2003 11:58, Jim Alateras wrote:
>

>>Stephen,
>>
>>Is it possible to set up merlin so that I can use a configuration file
>>per component. So if I am using 10 blocks I would have 10 conf files,
>>assuming each block required some form of configuration. I have used
>>Phoenix to achieve this in the past
>>

>you can have one "default" conf per component that can be provided with the
>component impl class.
>
>see
>http://avalon.apache.org/sandbox/merlin/starting/tutorial/config/defaults.html
>
>the config of HelloComponent in  HelloComponent.xconfig file
>
>Hope this could help

That should solve the problem.

However, I've been thinking about this since Jim posted the initial
question and while we have a rather complete configuration management
model for "components" - we don't have a similar structure for providing
default configurations for composite components.

Warning - the following is rather Merlin specific and addresses things
deep inside the internals.

The James application in Merlin is a composite component.  It has a
block definition and a corresponding example configuration that contains
the named target configurations for the underlying components.  But ..
there is nothing is Merlin today that enables the association of that
example configuration as a default relative to james as a component.

I'm thinking about a policy where a default is implied using the
following pattern:

   <block-base-url>/<block-definition-name>.<type>

E.g.:  target/classes/BLOCK-INF/block.xml would break down to a
<block-base-url> of "target/classes/BLOCK-INF/".  A default block
configuration could be derived by looking for a
<block-defintion-name>.config and applying this automatically.  This
would also need to be complemented by an ability to override a default
configuration at the <include/> element under the <container/> element
to enable declaration of a specific default composite configuration.
This would also allow us to package default configurations in .bar files
and have these automatically installed into our local repositories.

Cheers, Steve.

Posted by Alexis Agahi <al...@users.sf.net>.

Re: [merlin] Best Practice for writing merlin test cases.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Jim Alateras wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is there a best practice for writing merlin test cases, specifically for
>testing service interfaces.

Its a little eatrly to brand this as a best practice but here is what I do:

in mavenb.xml

<postGoal name="test:test">
   <attainGoal name="merlin:simulate/>
<postGoal>

In your project.properties file you can override the block and
configration files to use if you need to. In you block descriptor
declare you deployment scanario and a test component:

  <container name="whatever">
     <component name="batman" class="org.gotham-city.CrimeFighter"/>
     <component name="penguin" class="net.evil.CrimeWave"/>
  </container>

So lauching this block results in the deployment of Batman.  The Penquin
should declare a dependecy on Batman (as part of its type defintion) and
then when invoked (via initiaze, execute or start) should raise hell and
brimestone on Batman in an attempt to bring down Gotham City to a
standstill and the ultimate distruction of world's greatest super hero.
If you want to get really nasty you can create multiple startable test
components enabling evaluation of Batman's ability to do things like,
walk and drink at the same time while defending Gotham City from the
most evil person know to mankind.

Hoope that helps!

Cheers, Stephen.