Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com> on 2017/10/23 09:27:22 UTC

ACS 4.11 configdrive and basic zones

Hello, DevTeam.

I know that Nuage Networks is going to introduce config drive in 4.11. It's
great thing. Just wondering wheither it could help removing VR for basic
zone completely without the lack of functionality. As I could imagine with
config drive, VR handles only DNS functionality (for basic zone). VR often
is a point of a failure (by different reasons), could it be that we could
avoid it's usage completely in 4.11 for basic zones (of course if
cloud-init is redesigned to support config drive)?

It would be great if Nuage describe their vision about it. Thanks in
advance.

--
With best regards, Ivan Kudryavtsev
Bitworks Software, Ltd.

Re: ACS 4.11 configdrive and basic zones

Posted by Kris Sterckx <kr...@nuagenetworks.net>.
Hi Ivan,

The Nuage Networks SDN use cases are within Advanced Zone networking, hence
the development focus for Config Drive [1] went to Advanced Zone (Shared
Networks, Isolated Networks and VPC's). That doesn't mean no extension for
Basic Zone can be made. Actually it would be great if that could be done.
With that, inviting anyone to further extend the PR, in 4.11 or beyond.

Thanks

Kris

[1]  CLOUDSTACK-9813 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-9813>
 : Using ConfigDrive for Metadata, Userdata and Password Reset
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Using+ConfigDrive+for+Metadata%2C+Userdata+and+Password>
: PR-2097 <https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/2097>