Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Russell Branca <ch...@apache.org> on 2013/03/18 21:06:34 UTC

Merging the fauxton branch into master

Last week I noticed the fauxton branch and master branch have drifted quite
apart, and are a couple hundred commits different in either direction. I
created a branch 'fauxton-rebase' [1] that is the fauxton rebased on top of
the laster master as of friday.

If there are no objections I would like to bring the fauxton-rebase branch
into master to simplify development workflow and keeping both branches
updated.

-Russell

[1]
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=couchdb.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/fauxton-rebase

Re: Merging the fauxton branch into master

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Please also make sure NOTICE is updated appropriately.

--
NS

Re: Merging the fauxton branch into master

Posted by Russell Branca <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Ramage <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Russell Branca <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Mar 18, 2013, at 23:04 , Russell Branca <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

>> top

>> missing
>>>>

>>> Regular rebasing will keep the branches synchronized, but it will rewrite
>>> the history underneath peoples' feet. I moved my initial rebase over to
>> the
>>> fauxton-rebase branch to avoid messing with anyone currently working in
>> the
>>> fauxton branch. I don't mind having a parallel branch for Fauxton, and I
>>> can take care of bringing in the latest changes, but if we go that route
>>> would prefer to do merges rather than rebases given we have a number of
>>> people working on the branch now. I know how some people feel about doing
>>> merges ;-) so I figured the best bet was to just throw everything in
>> master
>>> and dodge the problem entirely. If anyone else has a better suggestion,
>> I'm
>>> happy to hear it.
>>
>> Fair enough :)

>> Futon?
>>>>

>>> Right now Fauxton is self contained and isolated from Futon, it lives at
>>> /_utils/fauxton/index.html so both can be run in parallel. Its definitely
>>> not in feature parity with Futon yet, but the things that are there work
>>> reasonably well, and the more eyes we can get on it the better.
>>
>> So would you say shipping Fauxton as a “PREVIEW” or “EXPERIMENTAL” in 1.4.0
>> is sensible? I’d like to leave this decision with the Fauxton devs.
>>

> Yeah I would like to bring it as Preview or Experimental release assuming
> none of the Fauxton devs or anyone else has an objection. This would
> obviously be a what you see is what you get type of release, with a lot of
> functionality still not built, but the only blocker in terms of
> functionality I see, is adding an auth module, as right now Fauxton assumes
> you're in admin party. I created COUCHDB-1715 to cover this. The relevant
> building blocks are in place to add auth, so this should be relatively
> straightforward.
>

>> If yes, let’s master it!
>>

> Let's do it!!

Excellent! :D

Posted by Russell Branca <ch...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

functionality still not built, but the only blocker in terms of
functionality I see, is adding an auth module, as right now Fauxton assumes
you're in admin party. I created COUCHDB-1715 to cover this. The relevant
building blocks are in place to add auth, so this should be relatively
straightforward.

> If yes, let’s master it!

Let's do it!!

> >> - Can we double check that all the legal stuff is taken care of?
> >>

> > Good call, I still have COUCHDB-1710 open to update LICENSE with the
> > relevant dependency license info. I'll take care of that today or
> tomorrow.
>
> Cool, we should consider this blocking for the merge to master, just
> so we are entirely clean for the next release.

Agreed 100%, I'll get that resolved before we make any changes with the

-Russell

Re: Merging the fauxton branch into master

Posted by Ryan Ramage <ry...@gmail.com>.
So would you say shipping Fauxton as a “PREVIEW” or “EXPERIMENTAL” in 1.4.0
> is sensible? I’d like to leave this decision with the Fauxton devs.
>
> If yes, let’s master it!

+1 from me.

Re: Merging the fauxton branch into master

Posted by Simon Metson <si...@cloudant.com>.
+1 from me. We'll need to do some work to integrate it into the build process (hopefully more testing than changing things) but other than that I don't see a reason to not get it out there.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Mar 18, 2013, at 22:32 , Russell Branca <ch...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 18, 2013, at 21:06 , Russell Branca <ch...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Last week I noticed the fauxton branch and master branch have drifted
>> quite
>>> apart, and are a couple hundred commits different in either direction. I
>>> created a branch 'fauxton-rebase' [1] that is the fauxton rebased on top
>> of
>>> the laster master as of friday.
>>
>> Regular rebasing should make parallel branches manageable, or am I missing
>> something?
>>

> Regular rebasing will keep the branches synchronized, but it will rewrite
> the history underneath peoples' feet. I moved my initial rebase over to the
> fauxton-rebase branch to avoid messing with anyone currently working in the
> fauxton branch. I don't mind having a parallel branch for Fauxton, and I
> can take care of bringing in the latest changes, but if we go that route I
> would prefer to do merges rather than rebases given we have a number of
> people working on the branch now. I know how some people feel about doing
> merges ;-) so I figured the best bet was to just throw everything in master
> and dodge the problem entirely. If anyone else has a better suggestion, I'm
> happy to hear it.

Fair enough :)

Posted by Russell Branca <ch...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2013, at 21:06 , Russell Branca <ch...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Last week I noticed the fauxton branch and master branch have drifted
> quite
> > apart, and are a couple hundred commits different in either direction. I
> > created a branch 'fauxton-rebase' [1] that is the fauxton rebased on top
> of
> > the laster master as of friday.
>
> Regular rebasing should make parallel branches manageable, or am I missing
> something?

Regular rebasing will keep the branches synchronized, but it will rewrite
the history underneath peoples' feet. I moved my initial rebase over to the
fauxton-rebase branch to avoid messing with anyone currently working in the
fauxton branch. I don't mind having a parallel branch for Fauxton, and I
can take care of bringing in the latest changes, but if we go that route I
would prefer to do merges rather than rebases given we have a number of
people working on the branch now. I know how some people feel about doing
merges ;-) so I figured the best bet was to just throw everything in master
and dodge the problem entirely. If anyone else has a better suggestion, I'm
happy to hear it.

> > If there are no objections I would like to bring the fauxton-rebase
> branch
> > into master to simplify development workflow and keeping both branches
> > updated.
>

> No objection per se, just:
>
>  - Since master is poised to be the 1.4.x release branch and before long
> the
>    1.4.0 release, is Fauxton in good shape to be released? If not as the
> final
>    replacement of Futon, at least as a preview alongside the regular Futon?

Right now Fauxton is self contained and isolated from Futon, it lives at
/_utils/fauxton/index.html so both can be run in parallel. Its definitely
not in feature parity with Futon yet, but the things that are there work
reasonably well, and the more eyes we can get on it the better.

>  - Can we double check that all the legal stuff is taken care of?

Good call, I still have COUCHDB-1710 open to update LICENSE with the
relevant dependency license info. I'll take care of that today or tomorrow.

> * * *
>
> I’m very happy to see all the Fauxton progress!

Same here!! Its exciting to see the community activity really starting to
pick up with Fauxton, very cool! I'm going to send out a more general
Fauxton update this week, but I wanted to get the branch stuff sorted one
way or another.

> Best
> Jan
> --

-Russell

Re: Merging the fauxton branch into master

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.