Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Robert Harper <ro...@iat-cti.com> on 2006/11/16 18:45:38 UTC

Serving up applets

This has probably been covered before but I'm having a hard time getting an
applet on a servlet generated page to load. I keep getting a ClassNotFound
exception even though the class is in several possible areas for it to load.
It is a package that is like com.company.service.MyApplet.class. If Tomcat
can provide the images, why can't it find and send the applet class?

Robert S. Harper
Senior Engineer
Information Access Technology, Inc.
1100 East 6600 South, Suite 300
Salt Lake City Utah USA 84121-7411

(801)265-8800 Ext. 255
FAX (801)265-8880

This e-mail is intended only for the addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged information. Any review, retransmission, or action taken
upon this information by persons other than the intended recipient is
prohibited by law. If you received this communication in error, please
contact us immediately at 801-265-8800. Although this e-mail and any
attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect, it is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure that anything received or opened
is virus free. No responsibility is accepted by IAT for any loss or damage
in the event that such a virus or defect exists.

Re: Serving up applets

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
If your client does not absolutely require an applet then you should consider re-factor as jsp/servlet (Struts/Spring/JSF come to mind)
Then if you want  to access some resource specific function you can accomodate the access via a grant in catalina.policy
In either case you will have to eventually test on IE as this is default browser that comes with most windows installs-

Anyone else?
M-

This e-mail communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the
designated recipients named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received
this communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its
contents
Posted by Robert Harper <ro...@iat-cti.com>.
It looks like the codebase attribute helped. Now I'll see what I can do from
there.

Thanks. Just don't let preliminary testing dictate what you don't try later
I guess.

Robert S. Harper
Information Access Technology, Inc.

RE: Serving up applets

Re: Serving up applets

Re: Serving up applets

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.

=======================================

RE: Serving up applets

Re: Serving up applets

Re: Serving up applets

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Robert,

Robert Harper wrote:
> Snippet of the HTML
>
> <applet code=com.iat.ctimpact.CTImpactStatisticsApplet.class height=300
> width=584>
> <param name=Link
> value='https://127.0.0.1:8443/ctimpact/servlet/CTImpact/?User=001TEST&List=C
> 001MAIN'>
> <param name=Timer value=5000>
> </applet>

You need to provide the "codebase" attribute for the <applet> tag, which
tells the browser where to find your code.

You can find more information here:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/misc/applet.html
or here:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/plugin/developer_guide/using_tags.html