Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Szalay-Bekő Máté <sz...@gmail.com> on 2020/10/07 15:17:01 UTC

hacktoberfest

Hello Devs!

Are you participating in Hacktoberfest? What about tagging the
ZooKeeper repo with the 'hacktoberfest' label to make it visible for
Hacktoberfest automatically?

Currently I see more than 32.000 open-source repositories in this
topic (https://github.com/topics/hacktoberfest), I think we should add
ZooKeeper too.

see:
- https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/hacktoberfest-update
- https://docs.github.com/en/free-pro-team@latest/github/administering-a-repository/classifying-your-repository-with-topics

BR,
Mate

p.s. I'm not sure who has the rights to assign our repo to this topic.
(I don't have.)

Re: hacktoberfest

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 4:12 PM Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Il Mer 7 Ott 2020, 21:02 Christopher <ct...@apache.org> ha scritto:
>
> > I created https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/1489
> > (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-3962)
> >
> Thank you

The sooner this gets updated, the sooner Hacktoberfest participants
will get "credit" for the PRs they have created, and the easier it
will be for new contributors to find ZK's repo.

> This should add the hacktoberfest label to the github repo.
> >
> > On a related note: I've noticed that a lot of people just do pull
> > requests, but this project's committers are pretty strict about
> > requiring a JIRA issue for everything, even trivial changes. That
> > information is hard to find for new contributors. If you created a
> > CONTRIBUTING.md file, GitHub would automatically provide a link to
> > that for new contributors coming from GitHub. It would be easier to
> > find than looking on the wiki/confluence page where that information
> > is currently stored. (Alternatively, you could relax your constraints
> > and not require a JIRA for everything...
>

> We do not require a JIRA for very simple patches. But  JIRA is super useful
> in order to track release notes.

So, I've seen some patches I thought were very simple, and a committer
still commented on the PR asking them to create a JIRA, even though
they could have just merged it as-is. I'm not really sure there's a
clear demarcation point for users to know when something is considered
"very simple" or not when the committers themselves aren't consistent
on this. I think it's just confusing, and the requirement should go
away entirely. If JIRA is useful to track some issues, sure, use it,
but if somebody has already done the work, and it's self-contained in
a PR, regardless of whether it's simple or not, I think just accepting
it (if it's ready) is the most community-friendly thing to do, rather
than ask a new contributor to create a JIRA at all (especially since
they may not want to create a separate JIRA account, if they don't
already have one). If a JIRA is really needed, the committer
themselves can take on this responsibility instead of asking the
contributor to do it... as a way of lowering the bar to
contributing... especially if the user is a new contributor. If they
are a regular contributor, then they should just be invited to be a
committer. It's easier to hold committers to a higher standard of
responsibility for these things.

Personally, I don't find the generated JIRA "release notes" very
useful. We used to use that in Accumulo, and we stopped doing it,
because it was basically nothing more than a commit log. When the
"release notes" are basically a replay of the git history, they lose
their value. As a replacement, we started curating our release notes
with the most important information users needed to know, and
publishing that in a feed on our website alongside each release. We
refer people (with a convenient link) to the full changes in the git
history, if they are interested. Most of the git history does have
references to issue numbers (because when we merge from the GitHub UI,
it appends the PR number to the log message), if people want
additional context from any conversation on the issue.

I'm not suggesting ZK do this... it may not work for everybody. I'm
merely describing how we did it in Accumulo and why, as an alternative
perspective.

> Do you mind adding the CONTRIBUTING.md file into your PR? Just with a
> simple link to confluence

I'm not sure I want to do that with just a link to confluence. I don't
think it's a good idea to make users click through multiple links to
eventually get to the information. Personally, I think the information
should be entirely contained in CONTRIBUTING.md and the confluence
page should be decommissioned... and links to it should point to the
CONTRIBUTING.md page in the repo instead. I'm not a fan of spreading
documentation across multiple sites like that. I think everything
should be on the project website or in the project repo.

So, if I were to contribute a PR to update this, I would pursue it in
that direction. Otherwise, I think somebody else should add
CONTRIBUTING.md if they think it should be done differently.

Re: hacktoberfest

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Il Mer 7 Ott 2020, 21:02 Christopher <ct...@apache.org> ha scritto:

> I created https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/1489
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-3962)

Christopher
Thank you

Re: hacktoberfest

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
I created https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/1489
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-3962)

This should add the hacktoberfest label to the github repo.

On a related note: I've noticed that a lot of people just do pull
requests, but this project's committers are pretty strict about
requiring a JIRA issue for everything, even trivial changes. That
information is hard to find for new contributors. If you created a
CONTRIBUTING.md file, GitHub would automatically provide a link to
that for new contributors coming from GitHub. It would be easier to
find than looking on the wiki/confluence page where that information
is currently stored. (Alternatively, you could relax your constraints
and not require a JIRA for everything... when Accumulo did this, it

Re: hacktoberfest

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Mate,