Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Robert Pepersack <rp...@mdinsurance.state.md.us> on 2004/04/07 15:03:50 UTC

RE: log4j and JDK 1.2.2

I'm also having a problem with log4j and JDK 1.2.2.  I wrote a small "Hello
world from log4j" class.  Here's the source code:

// TestLog4j.java

import org.apache.log4j.Logger;
import org.apache.log4j.BasicConfigurator;

public class TestLog4j
{
     static Logger logger = Logger.getLogger("TestLog4j");

     public static void main(String args[])
     {
         BasicConfigurator.configure();
         logger.debug("Hello world from log4j.");
     }
}

When I run this class, I get this error:

A nonfatal internal JIT (3.10.107(x)) error 'chgTarg: Conditional' has
occurred in :
   'org/apache/log4j/Hierarchy.getLogger
(Ljava/lang/String;Lorg/apache/log4j/spi/LoggerFactory;)Lorg/apache/log4j/Logger;':
Interpreting method.
   Please report this error in detail to
http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi

A nonfatal internal JIT (3.10.107(x)) error 'chgTarg: Conditional' has
occurred in :
   'org/apache/log4j/Category.callAppenders
(Lorg/apache/log4j/spi/LoggingEvent;)V': Interpreting method.
   Please report this error in detail to
http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi

My message appeared after the error text:

0 [main] DEBUG TestLog4j  - Hello world from log4j.

To get rid of the error, I compiled the log4j source code under JDK
1.2.2.  I was able to get log4j to compile after adding xerces.jar and
jdmkrt.jar to my classpath.  I also had to change two variables in class
LoggingReceiver from final to non-final.

My test class worked successfully after I got log4j to compile.

I have the following questions:

1.  Will changing these two variables from final to non-final break
anything?  I just removed "final" from both declarations.
     /** where to put the events **/
     private final MyTableModel mModel;

      /** server for listening for connections **/
     private final ServerSocket mSvrSock;

2.  Are xerces.jar and jdmkrt.jar the jars used to compile the log4j 1.2.8
binary?  If not, then which ones should I use?

3.  Is there a set of core log4j packages, so that I can just drop the
features I don't want to use?

4.  Has anyone had success at using all of the features of log4j 1.2.8 with
JDK 1.2.2?

5.  Has anyone successfully used log4j configuration files and the console
appender with Sybase EAServer version 4?

6.  Has anyone written custom appender for EAServer version 4?

Thanks,