Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Guilherme dos Reis Meneguello <gu...@gmail.com> on 2020/10/11 20:28:39 UTC

Help with uploading files to a core.

Hello! My name is Guilherme and I'm a new user of Solr.

Basically, I'm developing a database to help a research team in my
university, but I'm having some problems uploading the files to the
database. Either using curl commands or through the admin interface, I
can't quite upload the files from my computer to Solr and set up the field
types I want that file to have while indexed. I can do that through the
document builder, but my intent was to have the research team I'm
supporting just upload them through the terminal or something like that. My
schema is all set up nicely, however the Solr's field class guessing isn't
guessing correctly😅.

The reference guides in lucene apache's website didn't help me much. I'm
pretty newbie when it comes to this field, but I feel it's something really
basic that I'm missing. If anyone could help me or point me in the right
direction, I'd be really thankful.

Regards,
Guilherme.

Livre
de vírus. www.avast.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Re: Help with uploading files to a core.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 10/11/2020 2:28 PM, Guilherme dos Reis Meneguello wrote:
> Hello! My name is Guilherme and I'm a new user of Solr.
>
> Basically, I'm developing a database to help a research team in my
> university, but I'm having some problems uploading the files to the
> database. Either using curl commands or through the admin interface, I
> can't quite upload the files from my computer to Solr and set up the field
> types I want that file to have while indexed. I can do that through the
> document builder, but my intent was to have the research team I'm
> supporting just upload them through the terminal or something like that. My
> schema is all set up nicely, however the Solr's field class guessing isn't
> guessing correctly😅.

If you're using the capability to automatically add unknown fields, then
your schema is NOT "all set up nicely".  It's apparently not set up at all.

The "add unknown fields" update processor is not recommended for
production, because as you have noticed, it sometimes guesses the field
type incorrectly.  The fact that it guesses incorrectly is not a bug ...
we can't fix it because it's not actually broken.  Getting it right in
every case is not possible.

Your best bet will be to set up the entire schema manually in advance of
any indexing.  To do that, you're going to have to know every field that
the data uses, and have field definitions already in the schema.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Help with uploading files to a core.

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
Solr is not a database. You can make a huge mess pretending it is a DB.

Also, it doesn’t store files.

What is your use case?

wunder
Walter Underwood