Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2007/06/29 13:16:39 UTC

[1.4] [Proposal] Global proxy configuration

Hi Lenya devs,

I propose to introduce the option to configure global proxies
(i.e., proxies for all resources outside a publication) independently
of publications.

I have implemented a GlobalProxies service in my sandbox:

  <component logger="lenya.proxy"
    role="org.apache.lenya.cms.linking.GlobalProxies"
    class="org.apache.lenya.cms.linking.impl.GlobalProxiesImpl">

    <proxy ssl="false" url="http://cms.example.com"/>
    <proxy ssl="true" url="https://cms.example.com"/>

  </component>

which is used by the OutgoingLinkRewriter (and thus by the
ProxyTransformer and ProxyModule):

  // link doesn't point to publication
  else {
      Proxy proxy = getGlobalProxies().getProxy(ssl);
      rewrittenUrl = proxy.getUrl() + url;
  }

The <proxies> element in publication.xml will become obsolete,
only the area-based <proxy> elements will be necessary.

In contrast to the current implementation, requests to non-publication
URLs can now use the proxy settings. An example is the CSS page

  /lenya/css/boxes.css

which can now build proxy-based URLs like this:

  url('https://cms.example.com/modules/svg/tab-topRight...')

WDYT about this concept?
The easiest way would be to configure the proxies in cocoon.xconf,
but we could also use a separate configuration file.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: [1.4] [Proposal] Global proxy configuration

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.
On 6/29/07, Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Lenya devs,
>
> I propose to introduce the option to configure global proxies
> (i.e., proxies for all resources outside a publication) independently
> of publications.
>
> I have implemented a GlobalProxies service in my sandbox:
>
>   <component logger="lenya.proxy"
>     role="org.apache.lenya.cms.linking.GlobalProxies"
>     class="org.apache.lenya.cms.linking.impl.GlobalProxiesImpl">
>
>     <proxy ssl="false" url="http://cms.example.com"/>
>     <proxy ssl="true" url="https://cms.example.com"/>
>
>   </component>
>
> which is used by the OutgoingLinkRewriter (and thus by the
> ProxyTransformer and ProxyModule):
>
>   // link doesn't point to publication
>   else {
>       Proxy proxy = getGlobalProxies().getProxy(ssl);
>       rewrittenUrl = proxy.getUrl() + url;
>   }
>
> The <proxies> element in publication.xml will become obsolete,
> only the area-based <proxy> elements will be necessary.
>

> In contrast to the current implementation, requests to non-publication
> URLs can now use the proxy settings. An example is the CSS page
>
>   /lenya/css/boxes.css
>
> which can now build proxy-based URLs like this:
>
>   url('https://cms.example.com/modules/svg/tab-topRight...')
>

> WDYT about this concept?
> The easiest way would be to configure the proxies in cocoon.xconf,
> but we could also use a separate configuration file.
>
> -- Andreas
>

> --
> Andreas Hartmann, CTO
> BeCompany GmbH
> http://www.becompany.ch

+1 ... I like this idea a lot, although I'm sure I don't grasp all the
implications.

Re: [1.4] [Proposal] Global proxy configuration

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler schrieb:
> On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 13:14 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>> Andreas Hartmann schrieb:
>>> Hi Lenya devs,
>>>
>>> I propose to introduce the option to configure global proxies
>>> (i.e., proxies for all resources outside a publication) independently
>>> of publications.
>> Are there no objections?
>>
>> Thorsten, since you introduced the root proxy concept, what do you
>> think about the global proxy configuration?
>>
>> Should I attach a patch to Bugzilla so you can try it out?
>
> No, just go ahead and add it.

Done.

Bob, Thorsten - thanks for your comments!

-- Andreas

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 13:14 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Andreas Hartmann schrieb:
> > Hi Lenya devs,
> >
> > I propose to introduce the option to configure global proxies
> > (i.e., proxies for all resources outside a publication) independently
> > of publications.
>
> Are there no objections?
>
> Thorsten, since you introduced the root proxy concept, what do you
> think about the global proxy configuration?
>
> Should I attach a patch to Bugzilla so you can try it out?

No, just go ahead and add it.

+1

Sorry for not giving word earlier, just got back to work after having my
parents at home and hardly read all mails.

> -- Andreas

Thanks Andreas.

salu2

Re: [1.4] [Proposal] Global proxy configuration

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.