Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Andrew Sy <AS...@AstonBrooke.com> on 2000/04/20 22:58:10 UTC

JSP: turning off incremental file generation

Given a MyJSP.jsp file, Tomcat compiles it into a
a xxxMyJSP_jsp_n.java where n runs from 0 to 9.
Everytime MyJSP.jsp file is changed, Tomcat
increments/cycles through n.

My question is: Can I turn this feature off?
That is, I would like Tomcat to generate a xxxMyJSP_jsp.java
file without incrementing the suffix n.

I've tried a couple of things to no avail, such as

- deleting xxxMyJSP_jsp_0.java to xxxMyJSP_jsp_9.java
to try to force Tomcat to always only generate
xxxMyJSP_jsp_0.java

- in web.xml setting the "keepgenerated" JspServlet
init-param to "false".

The reason I would like to turn off this incremental
suffix feature is this: I am trying to debug my JSP
pages by hooking up the java classes (and the corresponding
xxxMyJSP_jsp_n.java source files) to my debugger
(Visual Cafe). But because up to 10 java classes
are generated per jsp file, I have had to hook-up
10 java classes into my Visual Cafe projects for
each JSP file (and set breakpoints in each of the
10 java source files).  A big hassle if you have
more than 3 JSP files.
Does anyone know any (Tomcat or VCafe) work around?

ps. I just joined the User List today, and I hope I'm
posting my question to the right place. Else, my apologies.

thnx.

Re: JSP: turning off incremental file generation

Posted by Anil Vijendran <ak...@pipedream.org>.
I don't know how exactly you are using Cafe with Tomcat but a thought
would be to use the command line compiler, jspc to generate the Java
file and load it up in Cafe as a servlet?

Andrew Sy wrote:

> Given a MyJSP.jsp file, Tomcat compiles it into a
> a xxxMyJSP_jsp_n.java where n runs from 0 to 9.
> Everytime MyJSP.jsp file is changed, Tomcat
> increments/cycles through n.
>
> My question is: Can I turn this feature off?
> That is, I would like Tomcat to generate a xxxMyJSP_jsp.java
> file without incrementing the suffix n.
>
> I've tried a couple of things to no avail, such as
>
> - deleting xxxMyJSP_jsp_0.java to xxxMyJSP_jsp_9.java
> to try to force Tomcat to always only generate
> xxxMyJSP_jsp_0.java
>
> - in web.xml setting the "keepgenerated" JspServlet
> init-param to "false".
>
> The reason I would like to turn off this incremental
> suffix feature is this: I am trying to debug my JSP
> pages by hooking up the java classes (and the corresponding
> xxxMyJSP_jsp_n.java source files) to my debugger
> (Visual Cafe). But because up to 10 java classes
> are generated per jsp file, I have had to hook-up
> 10 java classes into my Visual Cafe projects for
> each JSP file (and set breakpoints in each of the
> 10 java source files).  A big hassle if you have
> more than 3 JSP files.
> Does anyone know any (Tomcat or VCafe) work around?
>
> ps. I just joined the User List today, and I hope I'm
> posting my question to the right place. Else, my apologies.
>
> thnx.

Peace, Anil +<:-)