Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Jim Talbut <jt...@spudsoft.co.uk> on 2011/07/07 10:05:26 UTC

Claim check example - why use persistent storage

Hi,

In the claim check example (http://camel.apache.org/claim-check.html)
the 'unwanted' information is placed in persistent storage and a tag is
added to the exchange.
What are the merits of doing this as opposed to simply storing the
information in the exchange?
i.e.:

exchange.setProperty( ORIGINAL_BODY, body);

The only benefit I can think of is that the storing just a tag for the
data is more secure (there is no way for the intermediate processors to
access it), but are there any other benefits?

Thanks

Jim

Re: Claim check example - why use persistent storage

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Jim Talbut <jt...@spudsoft.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the claim check example (http://camel.apache.org/claim-check.html) the
> 'unwanted' information is placed in persistent storage and a tag is added to
> the exchange.
> What are the merits of doing this as opposed to simply storing the
> information in the exchange?
> i.e.:
>
> exchange.setProperty( ORIGINAL_BODY, body);
>

> The only benefit I can think of is that the storing just a tag for the data
> is more secure (there is no way for the intermediate processors to access
> it), but are there any other benefits?

For example if the data is very big, you may want to offload it to a
persistent storage.
Or you may have a SAN or whatever as the store. And then have a node
somewhere else in the cluster, pickup the claim check.

So node A can store the payload in the persistent storage.
Then node B can pickup the payload later.

I am sure there could be other use-cases.

--
Claus Ibsen