Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com> on 2001/05/24 05:47:52 UTC

did we ever resolve the byte order mark issue??

Does anyone remember whether we ever found a solution for the
BOM issue? I remember a lot of discussion but don't remember
a resolution. My recollection is that the situation is as
follows: if the SOAP request is encoded in UTF-8 and a byte
order mark is present, Xerces doesn't do the right thing and
blows up. If its UTF-16 encoded then the BOM is needed and
it works ok.

Does this apply to other parsers as well?

Wouter, you were the one who was most aware of the details if
I recall correctly ..

[In case you are wondering- I'm asking about this to document
it as an interop difficulty in the 2.2 docs.]

Thanks,

Sanjiva.