Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Mark Himsley <ma...@mdsh.com> on 2009/09/13 19:06:58 UTC

Database Pool creation exception

Hi,

I've got Geronimo 2.1.4 installed in
/usr/local/geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1.4 on a Mac OS 10.5.8 with
java.version 1.5.0_19.

Going to the console at http://localhost:8080/console/ and logging in as
system/manager I am trying to add a Database Pool to a MySQL server.

I used the driver download function in the Database Pool wizard to
install the MySQL driver 3.1.2 which was installed into $GERONIMO_HOME
as
repository/mysql/mysql-connector-java/3.1.12/mysql-connector-java-3.1.12.jar

If I run Geronimo from the command line with ./start-server from
$GERONIMO_HOME/bin then there is not problem.

If I run Geronimo as a server within Eclipse then when I use the console
to deploy the Database Pool using that driver JAR I get the following
exception:

Deployer operation failed: org.apache.openejb.OpenEJBException: Unable
to extract jar. error in opening zip file: error in opening zip file
org.apache.geronimo.common.DeploymentException:
org.apache.openejb.OpenEJBException: Unable to extract jar. error in
opening zip file: error in opening zip file
	at
org.apache.geronimo.openejb.deployment.EjbModuleBuilder.createModule(EjbModuleBuilder.java:251)
	at
org.apache.geronimo.openejb.deployment.EjbModuleBuilder.createModule(EjbModuleBuilder.java:225)
	at
org.apache.geronimo.j2ee.deployment.EARConfigBuilder.getDeploymentPlan(EARConfigBuilder.java:310)
	at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:227)
	at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:134)
	at
	at
	at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.ReflectionMethodInvoker.invoke(ReflectionMethodInvoker.java:34)
	at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke(GBeanOperation.java:124)
	at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.invoke(GBeanInstance.java:867)
	at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.invoke(BasicKernel.java:239)
	at
org.apache.geronimo.deployment.plugin.local.AbstractDeployCommand.doDeploy(AbstractDeployCommand.java:116)
	at
org.apache.geronimo.deployment.plugin.local.DistributeCommand.run(DistributeCommand.java:61)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)
Caused by: org.apache.openejb.OpenEJBException: Unable to extract jar.
error in opening zip file: error in opening zip file
	at
org.apache.openejb.config.DeploymentLoader.unpack(DeploymentLoader.java:1006)
	at
org.apache.openejb.config.DeploymentLoader.createConnectorModule(DeploymentLoader.java:782)
	at
org.apache.openejb.config.DeploymentLoader.load(DeploymentLoader.java:142)
	at
org.apache.geronimo.openejb.deployment.EjbModuleBuilder.createModule(EjbModuleBuilder.java:241)
	... 15 more
Caused by: java.util.zip.ZipException: error in opening zip file
	at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(ZipFile.java:203)
	at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(JarFile.java:132)
	at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(JarFile.java:97)
	at org.apache.openejb.util.JarExtractor.extract(JarExtractor.java:75)
	at org.apache.openejb.util.JarExtractor.extract(JarExtractor.java:48)
	at
org.apache.openejb.config.DeploymentLoader.unpack(DeploymentLoader.java:1004)
	... 18 more

I'm running both from the command line and from within Eclipse as the
same user. And, yes I did shutdown the command-line run Geronimo before
I started the Eclipse Geronimo.

I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong in Eclipse - although I can't
think what!

Thanks

--
Mark

Re: Database Pool creation exception

Posted by Mark Himsley <ma...@mdsh.com>.

Quintin Beukes-2 wrote:

> Are you in Linux?

No, Mac OS 10.5.8.

Also I am running Eclipse (and its server Geronimo) and the command line
Geronimo as the same user, so I can't see how permissions could be the
issue.

Can I turn up logging so see more accurately why Geronimo is unable to
create the Database Pool?

Re: Database Pool creation exception

Posted by wegus <re...@wegmeyer.de>.
Hi folks,

same Exception trouble here! I do use:

Mac OS X 10.6.4 (Intel only)
JDK 1.6.20 ( JDK is from Apple... :-( )
Geronimo 2.2
Eclipse 3.6

When  trying to follow the official JDBC-Example from the Geronimo Docs i do
get the same Exception for the Derby DB. Trying to ad a MySQL Database to
Datapool just behaves the same way ( same Exceptions).

Question 1: Are there any known Problems on that topic? Are they perhaps
specific to Appes JDK ?

Question 2: Where, beside from the nabble-forum here, do i find such
detailed help on Geronimo? Im mean Google-Answers are a lot, but try to find
quality using google is a long way

Kind regards

Wegus

Re: Database Pool creation exception

Posted by Quintin Beukes <qu...@skywalk.co.za>.
Are you in Linux?

Have you tried to change the ownership of your Geronimo directory?
Perhaps some of it is owned by another user and your user (which you
run eclipse as) doesn't have write access to geronimo's temp
directories?

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Mark Himsley <ma...@mdsh.com> wrote:

> Forrest_Xia wrote:
>>
>> open a browser to login administrative console to deploy the same database
>> pool?
>>

> Yes. That's what I did.
>
> If I start Geronimo from the command line and go to the administrative
> console in a browser then creating a database pool works.
>
> If I start Geronimo from Eclipse and go to the administrative console in a
> browser then creating a database pool fails with the above exception.
>

> Forrest_Xia wrote:
>>
>> can you share the data source deployment plan?
>>

> I haven't got that far yet - I'm just trying to make a database pool in the
> admin console! Frankly, I tried to make the database pool for a couple of
> hours in the admin console of a Geronimo started as a service in Eclipse on
> my Mac, and it confused me that it was not working. It was only by chance
> that I ran Geronimo from the command line and found creating the pool
> worked. Perhaps its just me...

Quintin Beukes

Re: Database Pool creation exception

Posted by Mark Himsley <ma...@mdsh.com>.

Posted by Forrest Xia <fo...@gmail.com>.
You mean you boot geronimo from eclipse, then open a browser to login

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 22, 2010, at 10:23 AM, brunoC wrote:

> Hi,
> i had the same problem,
> it is due to the name of the temp directory genarated by the jdk.
> if you add the option -Djava.io.tmpdir="var/temp"  to the VM argument to
> start the server it should work.

Nice. Thanks Bruno! Hoping somebody working on GEP can take a look. We should do that automatically -- users shouldn't need to set this...

--kevan

Re: Database Pool creation exception