Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Thomas Heller <in...@zilence.net> on 2010/07/11 18:12:42 UTC

Secondary Index Operators

Hey,

I was wondering what your plans are concerning secondary indexes and
supported operators?

I looked over the code and so far there is only EQ which of course is
the easiest since it just compares byte values and that will work for
(almost) everything. Most index operations will however require
de-serializing the data.

I chose msgpack binaries to store my data because it was the most
compact and it keeps basic type information intact (string, int,
floats, arrays, etc), but a msgpack int is not 4 bytes and wouldnt be
castable to a standard 4 byte int so for example a "simple less than"
wouldnt work.

Are there any plans on this topic or is it still open to discussion?

Cheers,
/thomas

Re: Secondary Index Operators

Posted by Ed Anuff <ed...@anuff.com>.
Interesting, I can't comment on the applicability of msgpack within
Cassandra, but I posted something a while back about a serialization
technique I was using for implementing inverted indexes at the
application level on top of Cassandra
(http://github.com/edanuff/CassandraCompositeType).  I used a very
primitive serialization scheme, I'll have to take a closer look at
msgpack.