Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org> on 2003/03/02 08:24:08 UTC

Deprecate Naming?

Hi,

Naming is no longer maintained and further development is going on elsehwere.
It has been released as part of the the big ball of mud excalibur release so
we can't just nuke (and I believe that somehow cocoon uses it?). So deprecate
it?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
USER, n.:
        The word computer professionals use when they mean "idiot."
	                -- Dave Barry, "Claw Your Way to the Top"

Re: Deprecate Naming?

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 20:44, Marcus Crafter wrote:
> 	From memory I think the InformixDataSource class uses it due to
> 	Informix's JDBC driver requirements. Is there something we could
> 	replace it with ?

Possibly just a really basic Noop Context impl? If you can figure out what is
actually needed I will generate a basic do nothing impl.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
| Contrary to popular belief, UNIX is user-friendly. It   |
| just happens to be selective on who it makes friendship |
| with.                                                   |
|                       - Richard Cook                    |

Re: Deprecate Naming?

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Marcus Crafter wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> 	From memory I think the InformixDataSource class uses it due to
> 	Informix's JDBC driver requirements. Is there something we could
> 	replace it with ?

I *believe* we might be able to get away without it, but I am not sure
on that.  I no longer have access to an Informix database to test my
applications.

Re: Deprecate Naming?

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
Hi Peter,

	From memory I think the InformixDataSource class uses it due to
	Informix's JDBC driver requirements. Is there something we could
	replace it with ?

	Cheers,

	Marcus

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 06:24:08PM +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Naming is no longer maintained and further development is going on elsehwere.
> It has been released as part of the the big ball of mud excalibur release so
> we can't just nuke (and I believe that somehow cocoon uses it?). So deprecate
> it?
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Peter Donald
> USER, n.:
>         The word computer professionals use when they mean "idiot."
> 	                -- Dave Barry, "Claw Your Way to the Top"

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
       '     /( &&&
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&:

RE: Deprecate Naming?

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.
> From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@realityforge.org]
> Subject: Deprecate Naming?
>

> Hi,
>
> Naming is no longer maintained and further development is
> going on elsehwere.
> It has been released as part of the the big ball of mud
> excalibur release so
> we can't just nuke (and I believe that somehow cocoon uses
> it?). So deprecate it?

Resonable. Non-maintained -> get the hell away from it.

A deprecation would also allow us to see where it is used.

/LS