Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Francesco Vivoli <f....@gmail.com> on 2007/11/13 12:18:32 UTC

How to handle multiple deployments?

Hi all

we're developing a project that is likely to be customized on a
per-installation basis.
For example users may want to add a functionality that, say, requires jar X,
also
at compile time.
Generally speaking, I need to let users to keep in sync with new versions of
the project
(still _very_ alpha), and to allow them to build it with an added set of
dependencies.

How do I account for this in my setup?

Many thanks
Francesco

Re: How to handle multiple deployments?

Posted by Francesco Vivoli <f....@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the reply.
I think I didn't quite express myself before though...
We are using profiles already, to generate builds for different platforms.

What I am talking about is structuring the project so that
someone needing to

1. get the project, either the whole source tree or binaries
2. write some functionality that integrates with the project (typically this
means importing some classes from it)
3. package the application: meaning building the project (a war) including
the this third party code, as well as its dependencies

The no-op for us would be just to leave things as they are, and have users
maintain their own project trees, that they'll have to periodically
integrate (when new versions come out)

I understand this is not strictly a maven question, I hope to get some ideas
though.

Francesco

Posted by Marat Radchenko <sl...@gmail.com>.