Posted to mime4j-dev@james.apache.org by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/22 11:43:46 UTC

mime4j and Java 1.6

Hi,

I noticed that since today (I guess since r1204874), mime4j trunk
requires Java 1.6. This makes it unusable for Apache Axiom because we
need to support Java 1.5. Is there a particular reason for this
change?

Andreas

Re: mime4j and Java 1.6

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:07:05PM +0100, Felix Knecht wrote:
> Hi Andreas
>
> Java 1.5 has reached it's EOL already 2 years ago [1]. ATM there's not
> yet a particular reason to need Java 1.6 but it's an invitation to
> switch to Java 1.6 (which is also already quite mature) and a
> preparation for next release of mime4j which may have particular reasons
> to need at least Java 1.6. The James project in general agreed to move
> to Java 1.6.
>
> Regards
> Felix
>
> [1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5/
>
> On 11/22/2011 11:43 AM, Andreas Veithen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed that since today (I guess since r1204874), mime4j trunk
>> requires Java 1.6. This makes it unusable for Apache Axiom because we
>> need to support Java 1.5. Is there a particular reason for this
>> change?
>>
>> Andreas

Felix, et al

We should upgrade to Java 1.6 only if there is a compelling reason to do so. There are still enough applications out there that need to maintain compatibility with Java 1.5 for all sorts of reasons.

At the very least it would be prudent to keep 0.7.x series of releases binary compatible and upgrade to a new Java version as of next feature release.

Oleg

Re: mime4j and Java 1.6

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Thanks!

Andreas

Re: mime4j and Java 1.6

Posted by Felix Knecht <fe...@otego.com>.
Should be 1.5 again:

Re: mime4j and Java 1.6

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: mime4j and Java 1.6

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.
I guess we could use 1.5 for mime4j easily.

Bye,
Norman

Re: mime4j and Java 1.6

Posted by Felix Knecht <fe...@otego.com>.