Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org> on 2002/06/08 18:31:59 UTC

[doc] live site update report

I just updated (with the help of Vadim on xml.apache.org) the live site.
It is now synced with the release and HEAD branch docs with the
exception of a few docs in src/documentation/xdoc/developing/. Carsten
(or someone else) will have to inform me about a few issues there.

One way to get some sense the changes is to view the edited diff
(provided below) between HEAD and release branches, which I did before I
synced HEAD and release docs. This of course doesn't capture updates
other committers may have made last week to the release branch (which
are *greatly* appreciated). Diffs of html files (between the release
build and the live site repository) are misleading. Simple navigational
changes within a section menu will impact *all* files in that directory,
suggesting changes which aren't substantively relevant.

I will announce the doc effort publicly on both cocoon lists on Monday.

-- Diana

new
src/documentation/stylesheets/faqcommon.xsl
src/documentation/xdocs/faq (plus many individual files)
src/documentation/xdocs/howto (plus many individual files)
src/documentation/xdocs/snippet (plus many individual files)
src/documentation/xdocs/tutorial (plus many individual files)
src/documentation/xdocs/ctwig/ctwig-osx.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/installing/updating.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/userdocs/serializers/xls-serializer.xml

modifications
src/documentation/sitemap.xmap
src/documentation/stylesheets/book2menu.xsl
src/documentation/xdocs/book.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/index.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/mail-lists.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/who.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/ctwig/book.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/ctwig/ctwig-installing.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/ctwig/ctwig-resources.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/developing/book.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/installing/book.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/installing/index.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/installing/jars.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/link/books.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/link/tips-guides.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/plan/changes-doc.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/plan/todo-doc.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/userdocs/index.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/userdocs/actions/actions.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/userdocs/concepts/databases.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/userdocs/concepts/sitemap.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/userdocs/generators/directory-generator.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/userdocs/generators/error-generator.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/userdocs/generators/file-generator.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/userdocs/generators/generators.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/userdocs/generators/jsp-generator.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/userdocs/matchers/matchers.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/userdocs/selectors/selectors.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/userdocs/serializers/book.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/userdocs/serializers/serializers.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/userdocs/transformers/i18n-transformer.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/userdocs/transformers/transformers.xml

deletions (refactored elsewhere)
src/documentation/xdocs/faq.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/tutorial-shots.xml
src/documentation/xdocs/tutorial.xml

Re: [doc] live site update report

Posted by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org>.
Beautiful.

Note:
I didn't see the new Expire attribute mentioned in the Performance
guide. It is a very important feature for large scale projects.

Ivelin

-= Ivelin =-

Re: [doc] live site update report

Posted by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org>.
On Saturday, June 8, 2002, at 01:41  PM, Andrew Savory wrote:

>> I'm adding notices at the top of any doc related to 2.1. It's the same
>> notice that appears in the WARNING note in the 2.1 branch.
>
> Ah, that makes a lot of sense, and should help keep track of new
> features
> etc for people upgrading from older versions. RT: maybe it's worth
> flagging versions (eg "Since: 2.0.1" or "Since: 2.1") on new
> documentation
> (or documentation about new features)? Although I guess the changelog is
> used for this, too...

No, it's not a RT at all, you're quite on target. It would be nice to
include meta info in documents which relate to any component/version
dependencies. It would be nice to automatically flag (during
transformation)  any doc which was "last checked" against an alpha or
old release. This will inform/alert users (until an
author/editor/reviewer could update the content and/or "last checked
status"). FAQs, in particular, get out of date rather quickly.

Diana

Re: [doc] live site update report

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, Diana Shannon wrote:

> I'm adding notices at the top of any doc related to 2.1. It's the same
> notice that appears in the WARNING note in the 2.1 branch.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense, and should help keep track of new features
etc for people upgrading from older versions. RT: maybe it's worth
flagging versions (eg "Since: 2.0.1" or "Since: 2.1") on new documentation
(or documentation about new features)? Although I guess the changelog is
used for this, too...

Andrew.

Re: [doc] live site update report

Posted by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org>.
On Saturday, June 8, 2002, at 12:49  PM, Andrew Savory wrote:

> Question: should the documentation on the site reflect HEAD, the stable
> development branch (2.0.3-dev), or the latest stable release? I'd
> suggest
> either of the latter two, as most people I assume will be using the
> stable
> release, and will expect stable documentation to go with it?

I'm adding notices at the top of any doc related to 2.1. It's the same
notice that appears in the WARNING note in the 2.1 branch. It's
impossible, otherwise, to manually keep the branches in sync. You'd have
different book.xml files, etc. I'm afraid it would introduce too many
other problems. There aren't too many 2.1 docs, right now, only a
handful.

Diana

Re: [doc] live site update report

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
Hi,

On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, Diana Shannon wrote:

> It is now synced with the release and HEAD branch docs with the
> exception of a few docs in src/documentation/xdoc/developing/.

Great stuff -- the site is coming on in leaps and bounds. I have a
question though ;-)

Posted by Diana Shannon <sh...@terracare.com>.
On Saturday, June 8, 2002, at 12:43  PM, John Morrison wrote:

> How did you build the files?

I built from the release branch, once I synced docs from head.

Diana

RE: [doc] live site update report

Posted by John Morrison <jo...@ntlworld.com>.
> From: Diana Shannon [mailto:shannon@apache.org]
> On Saturday, June 8, 2002, at 12:54  PM, Diana Shannon wrote:
>
> >> isn't correct.  This should have been replaced by the file
> >> generated by check-jars...
> >
> > How is this generated?
>
> It's not a build target for the release branch. Is it ok to include the
> result generated for HEAD on the live site?

If the jar's haven't changed then it will be correct.  If they have
then the document will be out of sync with the jars in the release.

But then, it was out of date for ages. :(

I'll do it soon - promise.

J.

Re: [doc] live site update report

Posted by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org>.

Posted by John Morrison <jo...@ntlworld.com>.
> From: Diana Shannon [mailto:shannon@apache.org]
>
> On Saturday, June 8, 2002, at 12:43  PM, John Morrison wrote:
>
> > Diana,
> >
> > How did you build the files?
> >
> > http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/installing/jars.html
>
> To clarify, I sync all docs in head and release branches below
> src/documentation/xdoc.
>
> Then I perform ./build.sh clean docs within the release branch
> xml-cocoon2 directory.
>
> > isn't correct.  This should have been replaced by the file
> > generated by check-jars...
>
> How is this generated?

it _should_ have been generated as part of the docs...

  <target name="docs"
          depends="package, prepare-docs, docs_check, docs_done"
          unless="docs.notrequired"
          description="Builds the documentation">

  <target name="prepare-docs" depends="check-jars">

I know why.  The build isn't in sync.  Darn.

build.[sh|bat] check-jars

in the head should produce the necessary files atm.  I'll have
to look at sync'ing the build of head with the release branch.

I don't have time right now.  I'll try and do it soon.

J.

Re: [doc] live site update report

Posted by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org>.
On Saturday, June 8, 2002, at 12:43  PM, John Morrison wrote:

> Diana,
>
> How did you build the files?
>
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/installing/jars.html

To clarify, I sync all docs in head and release branches below
src/documentation/xdoc.

Then I perform ./build.sh clean docs within the release branch
xml-cocoon2 directory.

> isn't correct.  This should have been replaced by the file
> generated by check-jars...

How is this generated?

Diana

Posted by John Morrison <jo...@ntlworld.com>.