Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net> on 2001/10/11 11:34:05 UTC

Changes to build environment

Here is the log message of a small commit I just did.  I want everyone to
see it, as it affects us all :

  Log:
  This is a test to see if we can move to ant 1.4 w/o everyone squawking
  or having problems. The major motivator is quieting gump while we work
  things out with the ant developers. (it would break for users too,
  possibly.)

  The changes in testcases.xml are to use the 1.3 classloader approach to
  things will work with Gump (and any user that has the vel.jar in their
  classpath.)  I am working with the ant devs to address this.  These
  changes are 1.4 specific, and sadly, 1.3 doesn't like attributes that it
  doesn't know about, so this now won't work with ant 1.3.

  Removing xerces and xalan as they get in the way with ant 1.4.

  So w/o the jars and the changes to the .xml, under ant 1.4 all is well
  w/ and w/o the vel.jar in the environment CLASSPATH.  This might not make
  it in in time for the morning gump run, but the messages should stop after
  this (unless something else breaks... that's why I want to quiet these...)

  If anyone has any problems with this, we should/must discuss - I am very
  averse to creating hardship with this and therefore not married to it.

The problem is that with ant 1.4, they changed how classloading works, and
in certain circumstances (such as the way Gump tests things), it leads to
problems.  You may have noticed the recent stream of messages from gump
regarding failure of our testcases.

Now, not only do we want to quiet Gump w/o resorting to a gump-specific
hack, we want to make it so users donĀ¹t' trip over this either.

I have submitted a Velocity-independent demonstration of the problem to the
ant developers, and will work with them to come to some sort of conclusion.

Until then, the testcases.xml is now ant 1.4 compatible only (not 1.3
anymore), and I removed xalan and xerces out of our lib directory, as
positive step forward in it's own right.

I will update the docs to note that 1.4 is required - if this is a major
problem for anyone who is married to ant 1.3, holler.

geir

System and Software Consulting