Posted to users@maven.apache.org by David Jackman <Da...@fastsearch.com> on 2006/11/03 18:39:03 UTC

M2 project type for a standalone utility

I have a Java project that I want to build using Maven 2.  This
particular project doesn't really produce a jar as its main artifact,
but instead needs to produce a zip file containing all of the runtime
dependencies along with a batch file that users use to run the utility.

Before I try to create a new plugin that will build this kind of
project, I'm wondering if anyone out there has already built this kind
of thing and what you used to build it.

Thanks,
..David..

Re: M2 project type for a standalone utility

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
You might want to checkout the assembly plugin.
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin

This plugin can do what you want, plus much more. Also, there is a new
release coming out soon (as soon as I can finish the documentation, which
should happen in the next week or so), which will include several new
features and fix many bugs. There is a snapshot version of the plugin
available using the pluginRepository:
http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository.

If you need more specific help, let me know.

Cheers,

John

Posted by jp4 <jo...@hnpsolutions.com>.
I have used the maven assembly plugin before to build an executable jar file
that contains all of the necessary runtime libraries.  In order to run the
app all you have to do is type java -jar foo.jar arg1 arg2...

If this sounds like something you want, I can post the pom.xml

jp4

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
I think you should be able to construct this the Assembly plugin,
without creating your own plugin type etc which is a lot more work.

Various people on this list have created special artifacts similar to
what you're describing using Assembly. Give it a try before heading
down the "new plugin" path.

Wayne