Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Tom Jordahl <to...@macromedia.com> on 2003/09/16 15:37:21 UTC

RE: Use Forrest (Re: Updating all ws project sites to use the mir rored downloads)

Is their a reason to use a "system" for creating a web site as opposed to (for instance) just editing the files with DreamWeaver (or something) directly?

I am not really excited on having to learn a new technology just to update a project web site, but I would be interested in hearing about how Forrest would make my life easier.

--
Tom Jordahl
Macromedia Server Development

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
Hi, Tom and All (general@ws)

Thank you for the comment.

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:37:21 -0400
Tom Jordahl <to...@macromedia.com> wrote:

> Is their a reason to use a "system" for creating a web site as opposed
> to (for instance) just editing the files with DreamWeaver (or
> something) directly?

1. Everybody can create beautiful websites (WoW) easily, not knowing
the usage of dreamweaver (for instance).
2. Stored in XML forms, so we can transform into various forms in the
future, by using XSLT.
3. Current Axis website use the function of "frame", however,
it is not "google-friendly" ;-) from the view of search
engine optimization. Forrest-ized Websites all have left-side
navigations in each pages and are very much google-friendly.
4. Easy to manage
5. Consistency, consistency ...
6. Listed at http://xml.apache.org/forrest/live-sites.html (Yay!)
   under "Live-Site using Forrest"
7. (More to be come?)

> I am not really excited on having to learn a new technology just to
> update a project web site, but I would be interested in hearing about
> how Forrest would make my life easier.

Currently,

Axis: (No Tool ... writing HTMLs by hands)
Soap: (Apache Cocoon: older version)
XSIF: (Apache Forrest)
XSIL: (X)
XMLRPC: (Apache Maven)
WSRP4J: (Anakia/Velocity)
WS-SITE:(Apache Forrest)

.... inconsistency (divided against itself) .... :-(

--

When you think of the re-build of web services project (as a whole),
you have to download at least "Maven", "Forrest", "Velocity",

If we standardize the website build system into "Apache Forrest",
you/we do not have to download many tools and need just *one* "Forrest".

--

Also, you manage the website contents in XML forms, so you do not
have to think of the output, now multiple output formats supported,

You will be able to see the other features from
http://xml.apache.org/forrest/index.html
and ask to forrest-ized folks :-) at forrest-dev@xml.apache.org
(in opensource manner).

Also, ForrestBot site (http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/ .. will be
merged into apache.org soon, we hope!) will help us in publishing
HTML/PDFs from XMLs automatically (or by hand). Once the XML files
would be uploaded, forrestbot will pay much attention to the whole
websites.

I think there are more remarkable functions in Apache Forrest, however,
I want to pass the baton to Forrest Development Team for more details.
;-)

Thanks,

-- Tetsuya. (tetsuya@apache.org)

> Tom Jordahl