Posted to users@maven.apache.org by mraible <ma...@raibledesigns.com> on 2009/04/29 00:03:19 UTC

Issues with archetype:create-from-project

I've been using archetype:create-from-project to create archetypes and have
noticed some issues:

1. The generated archetype has a version of 1.0-SNAPSHOT. I want the
archetype's version to be the same as my project.

2. When I have an empty property (e.g. <jdbc.password></jdbc.password>),
it's removed from the resulting pom.xml.

3. When generating a multi-module archetype, the package names in my
hibernate.cfg.xml are replaced with ${package}. This doesn't happen when
generating a single-module archetype.

4. Package expansion doesn't happen for files in a package hierarchy under
src/main/resources.

5. I'm unable to set a description for the generated archetype.

6. Replacing of package names with ${package} seems to work different b/w
multi-module and single-module projects. In a multi-module project,
"org.appfuse.webapp" gets replaced with "${package}.webapp". In a
single-module project, "org.appfuse.webapp" gets replaced with "${package}".

7. TLD files are not scanned for packages to replace.

8. The web.xml file is not scanned for packages to replace.

I've been able to workaround most of these issues by using Ant to manipulate
the project after it's generated (before installing). Should I enter these
as issues in JIRA?

Thanks,

Matt

Re: Issues with archetype:create-from-project

Posted by Bernard Lupin <be...@yahoo.fr>.
Hi Matt,
I encounter quite all of your issues. However, I've solved some of them with
tricks :

1. I have an archetype.properties file within my project, containing these
properties :
archetype.groupId=com.company.project
archetype.artifactId=project-archetype-example
archetype.version=1.0-SNAPSHOT

Then I run the create-from-project with a
"-Darchetype.properties=archetype.properties" option. This way, I can manage
the archetype version.

2. I use a dummy variable to solve this problem, eg
<jdbc.password>${empty}</jdbc.password>

3, 4, 7., 8.
As soon as possible, I use ${project.artifactId} and ${project.groupId} in
my poms and config files (with filtering enabled). Thus, no matter if my
artifactId/groupId/package are replaced or not by the archetype plugin.

5.
You're right, and I'm still wondering how to put a description for my
archetype : It's annoying because the archetype:generate goal shows a list
of available archetypes with a description in parentheses, but I can't
manage this description in my project, I have to change it in the
.../target/generated-sources/archetype/pom.xml.

6. You're right, there are a lot of differences between mono and multi
module projects

So if somebody has a workaround for 5., it would be great for me too...

Bernard

Posted by mid491 <mi...@hotmail.com>.
"> 2. When I have an empty property (e.g. ), > it's removed from the
resulting pom.xml."

Hi, still not working with multi-modules (2.0-alpha-6)

Re: Issues with archetype:create-from-project

Posted by Raphaël Piéroni <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matt,

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
With regards to #1
I noticed the same behaviour a few weeks back with building the new axis 2.1.5 distro the workaround was to change all versions with SNAPSHOT suffix e.g. 1.4.1-SNAPSHOT (version number) and replace with 1.4.1.
I also had to change the folder name
from
${user.home}\.m2\repository\org\apache\maven\plugins\maven-aar-plugin\1.4.1-SNAPSHOT
${user.home}\.m2\repository\org\apache\maven\plugins\maven-aar-plugin\1.4.1
after replacing all occurences of string 1-4.1.SNAPSHOT with 1.4.1 and rebuilding
the .jar with modified xml the plugin worked (installed and was scanned correctly
as a dependent plugin)
(I had to perform the same set of procedures for the maven-mar-plugin..in fact ALL new plugins)
so my answer is yes this is a bug

i dont know about 2...8
?
Martin
Disclaimer and Confidentiality/Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung / Note de déni et de confidentialité
This message is confidential. If you should not be the intended receiver, then we ask politely to report. Each unauthorized forwarding or manufacturing of a copy is inadmissible. This message serves only for the exchange of information and has no legal binding effect. Due to the easy manipulation of emails we cannot take responsibility over the the contents.

http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_more_042009

RE: Issues with archetype:create-from-project

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
(version number) and replace with 1.4.1.

I also had to change the folder name

from

${user.home}\.m2\repository\org\apache\maven\plugins\maven-aar-plugin\1.4.1-SNAPSHOT

${user.home}\.m2\repository\org\apache\maven\plugins\maven-aar-plugin\1.4.1

after replacing all occurences of string 1-4.1.SNAPSHOT with 1.4.1 and rebuilding

the .jar with modified xml the plugin worked (installed and was scanned correctly

as a dependent plugin)

(I had to perform the same set of procedures for the maven-mar-plugin..in fact ALL new plugins)

i concur #1 is a bug

dont know about items#2...8

?

http://windowslive.com/RediscoverHotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Rediscover_Updates2_042009