Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Alex McLintock <al...@OWAL.co.uk> on 2002/12/22 12:51:31 UTC

PHP status?

Hi folks,

I'm reasonably familiar with Cocoon but just learning PHP since it seems to
be the fastest way to do lots of web applications.
(See
http://phpmyedit.sourceforge.net/  and
http://www.platon.sk/projects/phpMyEdit/  for pne of the php tools I am
interested in ).

Now I hear about this PHP Generator thing but I don't really understand how
it fits in.

Can someone either point me at a good explanation, or documentation,
including which release of Cocoon it is in?

Alex McLintock

Available for java/perl/C++/web development in London, UK or nearby. Apache
FOP, Cocoon,
Turbine, Struts,XSL:FO, XML, Tomcat, First meeting free.http://www.OWAL.co.uk/

RE: PHP status?

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.

Thank google!  I knew it wasn't cocoon but was curious as to where it came
from myself.

> At 14:01 23/12/02, you wrote:
> >I'm not a PHP user in cocoon, but I can provide some hints on the
> >information
> >you asked about.  First, the biggest clues come from an odd location
> >(http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/tutorial/tutorial-develop-webapp.html):
> >
> >----------------------
> >PhpGenerator
> >This generator functions just like the JspGenerator, but with
> PHP templates.
> >The PHP must generate valid XML, and be a file in the context.
>
> This is a shame but I suppose only to be expected. What I was
> really after
> was some easy way of using exisitng PHP applications within a
> larger Cocoon
> framework. If the PHP has to generate valid XML then that limits things
> quite a bit. I suppose I could persuade it to generate  xHTML, but even
> that will be a pain.

How you want to use them makes all the difference.  If it's going to be in a
pipeline at some point, you are stuck with having at least well-formed xml.
Seems to me your options boil down to:

1) Get the PHP to spit out well-formed xml and use PHPGenerator.
2) Use HTMLGenerator to call the php over http (it passes the results
through TIDY, so it does the html->xml work for you).  Not sure if it passes
the request stuff on, but it probably uses jakarta commons httpclient, which
has the functionality built in and shouldn't be too much work to make use of
it by patching HTMLGenerator or extending it.  BTW, httpclient supports
cookies too - see the recent conversations on WebServiceProxyGenerator
3) Use WebServiceProxyGenerator (currently supports passing request on, but
not cookies - a commercially sponsored patch may be making its way in to CVS
soon though).  This still requires that you get wellformed xml though.

Geoff

RE: PHP status?

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@OWAL.co.uk>.

At 14:01 23/12/02, you wrote:
>I'm not a PHP user in cocoon, but I can provide some hints on the
>information
>you asked about.  First, the biggest clues come from an odd location
>(http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/tutorial/tutorial-develop-webapp.html):
>
>----------------------
>PhpGenerator
>This generator functions just like the JspGenerator, but with PHP templates.
>The PHP must generate valid XML, and be a file in the context.

This is a shame but I suppose only to be expected. What I was really after
was some easy way of using exisitng PHP applications within a larger Cocoon
framework. If the PHP has to generate valid XML then that limits things
quite a bit. I suppose I could persuade it to generate  xHTML, but even
that will be a pain.

 > You'll have to look at the php site for more information there - it seems
>the servlet does depend on PHP being installed.
>http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.java.php

Now I know the PHP Servlet is part of the PHP project then I can RTFM :-)

>You'll have to look in the code of PHPGenerator to confirm, but I believe
>that
>cocoon will pass the request object to the servlet, so potentially all
>request
>parameters should survive.  However, I don't believe that cookies share the
>same luck, but again you'll have to check it out yourself.

Looks primising. Thanks

Alex

RE: PHP status?

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
I'm not a PHP user in cocoon, but I can provide some hints on the
information
you asked about.  First, the biggest clues come from an odd location
(http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/tutorial/tutorial-develop-webapp.html):

----------------------
PhpGenerator
This generator functions just like the JspGenerator, but with PHP templates.
The PHP must generate valid XML, and be a file in the context.

This generator requires a JAXP 1.1 compliant parser and the phpservlet.jar
file that comes from http://php.net. Install the files in the WEB-INF/libs
directory. The PhpGenerator is not Cacheable.

So,

No, it's from php.net, although I don't know if the exact name given in that
doc is
still valid - it may ship with the default distribution of PHP though.

> I assumed that PHP had to be run by the compiled C apache module rather
> than a separate servlet.

You'll have to look at the php site for more information there - it seems
the servlet does depend on PHP being installed.
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.java.php

> I am not sure how it maintains state between calls - ie does my Cocoon
> sitemap have to know about all the potential parameters which my PHP code
> may use.... Hmmm.

You'll have to look in the code of PHPGenerator to confirm, but I believe
that
cocoon will pass the request object to the servlet, so potentially all
request
parameters should survive.  However, I don't believe that cookies share the
same luck, but again you'll have to check it out yourself.

Hope that helps,
Geoff Howard

Re: PHP status?

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@OWAL.co.uk>.
I asked about PHP within Cocoon and

At 23:32 22/12/02, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>"
>  * Allows PHP to be used as a generator.  Builds upon the PHP servlet
>  * functionallity - overrides the output method in order to pipe the
>  * results into SAX events.
>"
>
>Looking at the code, it takes the Request, calls a PhPServlet, and injects
>the PHPServlet result into Cocoon as a Sax Stream.

Ok, so it looks like if I need information I'll have to figure it out
myself. (So what's new :-)

For instance I am not sure how the PHPServlet fits in to this - is it part
of Cocoon?

I assumed that PHP had to be run by the compiled C apache module rather
than a separate servlet.

I am not sure how it maintains state between calls - ie does my Cocoon
sitemap have to know about all the potential parameters which my PHP code
may use.... Hmmm.

Any PHP/Cocoon users please email me. Stand up and be counted.

Alex

Re: PHP status?

Posted by Alexandru COSTIN <ac...@interakt.ro>.
Hello,
If you want XML and PHP in a Cocoon like approach, you should look at
Krysalis, a OS platform for XML content publishing.

Please see more about it at http://www.interakt.ro/products/Krysalis/

Alexandru
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm reasonably familiar with Cocoon but just learning PHP since it seems to
> be the fastest way to do lots of web applications.
> (See
> http://phpmyedit.sourceforge.net/  and
> http://www.platon.sk/projects/phpMyEdit/  for pne of the php tools I am
> interested in ).
>
> Now I hear about this PHP Generator thing but I don't really understand how
> it fits in.
>
> Can someone either point me at a good explanation, or documentation,
> including which release of Cocoon it is in?
>
> Alex McLintock
>

> Available for java/perl/C++/web development in London, UK or nearby. Apache
> FOP, Cocoon,
> Turbine, Struts,XSL:FO, XML, Tomcat, First meeting free.http://www.OWAL.co.uk/

Alexandru COSTIN
Chief Operating Officer
http://www.interakt.ro/
+4021 411 2610

Re: xsl through pipeline [NOT supported???]

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hello Stavros,

there is no difference between your and Anna's example. Both shell work.

If it works as you said, that you can save the XSL and use this one,
then for me it looks like a problem with serialization: Do you use any
"disable-output-escaping" in your stylesheet creation process? Anything
with entities?

Regards,

Joerg

RE: [demostration] Re: xsl through pipelin [anyone can help?]

Posted by Conal Tuohy <co...@paradise.net.nz>.
Instead of creating elements with <xsl:element name="foo" namespace="bar"/>,
you can also use a namespace alias. The namespace-alias xsl element is used
mostly for this purpose (xsl generating xsl).

Cheers

Con

See http://www.google.com/search?q=namespace%2Dalias

RE: [demostration] Re: xsl through pipelin [anyone can help?]

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.
Stavros,

I guess you aren't aware of that little "nameapace" attribute :)

Anyway, here are the modified pipelines:

<!-- HTML output by generated XSL-->
<map:match pattern="hello.html">
	<map:generate src="./htdocs/hello.xml"/>
	<map:transform src="/cocoon:sitebuilder.xsl"/>
	<map:serialize type="html"/>
</map:match>

<!-- XSL through pipeline by XSLT -->
<map:match pattern="sitebuilder.xsl">
	<map:generate src="./htdocs/hello.xml"/>
	<map:transform src="./htdocs/makexsl.xsl"/>
	<map:serialize type="xml"/>
</map:match>

...and here's the makexsl.xsl stylesheet doing the trick:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

	<xsl:template match="/">

		<xsl:element name="xsl:stylesheet"
			namespace="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">

			<xsl:element name="xsl:template"
				namespace="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">
				<xsl:attribute name="match">page</xsl:attribute>

				<xsl:element name="html">
					<xsl:element name="head">
						<xsl:element name="title">
							hello...
						</xsl:element>
					</xsl:element>
					<xsl:element name="body">
						<xsl:element name="xsl:call-template"
							namespace="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">
							<xsl:attribute name="name">para</xsl:attribute>
						</xsl:element>
					</xsl:element>
				</xsl:element>

			</xsl:element>

			<xsl:element name="xsl:template"
				namespace="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">
				<xsl:attribute name="name">para</xsl:attribute>

					<xsl:element name="xsl:value-of"
						namespace="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">
						<xsl:attribute name="select">para</xsl:attribute>
					</xsl:element>
			</xsl:element>

		</xsl:element>

	</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

I think this should fit the bill.

Best regards,

P.S.
I'd rather avoid making XSLs on the fly... unless for didactic purposes.

               Luca Morandini
               GIS Consultant
              lmorandini@ieee.org

Posted by Cocoon User <co...@eng.gr>.
in patern getXSL

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.
Stavros,

[solved!?]Re: xsl through pipeline [NOT supported???]

Posted by Cocoon User <co...@eng.gr>.
atleast i have a simple example that works

i call an xsl through pipeline but using only generation and serialization
(i just read the .xsl using a pipeline) and use this xsl for
transformation into another pipeline using cocoon:/ protocol
i'll put this example in url tomorow

now i'm a litle confused how to create a xsl from a
xml---xsl-->transformation

i have found very usefull your post anna...thnx

stavros

Posted by Cocoon User <co...@eng.gr>.

Posted by Cocoon User <co...@eng.gr>.

Posted by Cocoon User <co...@eng.gr>.

hi anna thnx for your reply

Posted by Anna Afonchenko <an...@ubaccess.com>.

Re: PHP status?

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Alex McLintock wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm reasonably familiar with Cocoon but just learning PHP since it seems
> to be the fastest way to do lots of web applications.
> (See http://phpmyedit.sourceforge.net/  and
> http://www.platon.sk/projects/phpMyEdit/  for pne of the php tools I am
> interested in ).
>
> Now I hear about this PHP Generator thing but I don't really understand
> how it fits in.
>
> Can someone either point me at a good explanation, or documentation,
> including which release of Cocoon it is in?

It's in all the Cocoon2 releases probably, but it's not being tested
AFAIK and we're gonna move it to scratchpad if nobody tests it and
reports if and how it works.

Look in the Cocoon sources,
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/xml-cocoon2/src/blocks/php/java/org/apache/cocoon/generation/PhpGenerator.java?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

"
  * Allows PHP to be used as a generator.  Builds upon the PHP servlet
  * functionallity - overrides the output method in order to pipe the
  * results into SAX events.
"

Looking at the code, it takes the Request, calls a PhPServlet, and
injects the PHPServlet result into Cocoon as a Sax Stream.

Let me know if you are able to make it work, and don't hesitate to ask
questions if you are stuck.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -