Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Jeff Squyres <js...@lsc.nd.edu> on 1998/10/01 00:11:21 UTC

mod_speling/3115: mod_speling will return a "Multiple choices" page when only one choice is available

>Number:         3115
>Category:       mod_speling
>Synopsis:       mod_speling will return a "Multiple choices" page when only one choice is available
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
In my srm.conf, I have listed several DirectoryIndex files:

	DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.shtml index.cgi

I also have mod_speling enabled in my server, with the "CheckSpelling on" in httpd.conf.

If one of those files exists in a directory (e.g., http://my.web.server/yow/index.htm), and
there are no other files in that directory, and I explicitly try to browse one of the other
DirectoryIndex files (e.g., http://my.web.server/yow/index.shtml),
mod_speling will notice this and attempt to redirect me to the right page.

However, even though there is only one choice of file to go to, mod_spelling returns
the "Multiple Choices" page, and only lists the single file (index.htm) as an
alternative.  It cites "(common basename)" as the reason for choosing it.

But note that if I try to browse to /yow/index.html, mod_speling redirects me
automatically to index.htm (presumably because it's only a one letter difference).

But even so, isn't mod_speling supposed to send a Location: header back if there
is only one choice of files to redirect to?
>How-To-Repeat:
I have made a sample URL for you to see this behavior on -- it contains the example
file that I mentioned above (index.htm).  But if you try to browse to index.shtml,
you'll see the indicated behavior.

	http://www.lsc.nd.edu/apache_test/index.shtml

Notice that http://www.lsc.nd.edu/apache_test/index.html does the right thing
(redirects via Location: to index.htm)