Posted to dev@oodt.apache.org by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org> on 2017/09/28 15:56:08 UTC

Re: Adding New Workflows in OODT

Namrata, why not just use dynamicWorkflows? It will achieve the same effect, and has already
been exposed at the XML-RPC API level?

I’m CC’ing dev@oodt.a.o as this would be a great thing to discuss on list.

Cheers,

Chris

From: "Malarout, Namrata (398M)" <Na...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Date: Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 8:44 AM
To: "Mattmann, Chris A (3010)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject: Adding New Workflows in OODT

Hey Chris,

How are you doing? Hope everything is well. Congratulations again on your adorable baby girl! J

For CMDA, I am looking for a way to add and execute new workflows without having to restart the workflow engine. I was going through the OODT change log and came across OODT-563 “Modifying Workflow Manager to allow adding new workflows” (varunr). Based on the JIRA issue (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OODT-563), I seems like executeWorkflow() and addTask() would be useful for our use case. Please correct me if I misunderstood the ticket. And is there any documentation or example of how to use these features?

Thanks, in advance for your help.

Regards,

Namrata

Re: Adding New Workflows in OODT

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>.
Gotcha.

#1 should work fine…and there is API support for it.

#2 is committed, but untested. If you want I can help you work with you but I haven’t
tested it.

Cheers,

Chris

From: "Malarout, Namrata (398M)" <Na...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Date: Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 1:57 PM
To: Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>
Cc: "dev@oodt.apache.org" <de...@oodt.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Adding New Workflows in OODT

Chris,

I did consider using dynamic workflows but it requires the tasks to already be defined, which is not the case. It becomes more complicated when there are tasks that need to run in parallel.

Scientists decide how they want their data to be processed. They design the workflow and choose which services they want. I receive a JSON which describes the workflow in the form of a graph. Each node’s description contains a URL to a CMDA service. Each service is executed as a task. My first PGE is parsing the JSON file to determine the structure of the workflow.

Since I only get an idea about the workflow structure after the workflow manager is already up and running, I need a way to add tasks and workflows dynamically.

The approaches I am considering are:

1.      Create the new workflow.xml and update task.xml, then refreshRepository

2.      Or use addTask() and executeWorkflow()

It would great to get some input on how to make this happen.

Thanks,

Namrata