Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> on 2011/06/21 01:59:07 UTC

OOo Kenai Migration Notes [Was Re: Oh, let's not forget @openoffice.org too]

On Jun 20, 2011, at 3:58 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> Dave Fisher wrote:
>> We certainly need a plan that does not simply stop openoffice.org
>> email.
>
> Actually, as others said I would just keep the @openoffice.org addresses
> running; to address a concern, I've used mine for many thousands of
> OOo-related actions and nobody ever questioned if I was speaking on
> behalf of OpenOffice.org or personally.

That is the concern. It is obvious when you see how many signed up for the project with openoffice.org email addresses.

>> How many individual forwards do we have?
>
> They used to be really many (in the thousands for sure) but they have
> been reduced in March 2011 with the Kenai migration to only the users
> who had been active (i.e., logged in on the OOo website) in the last (at
> the time) 18 months.

This is good to know. Last 18 months doesn't seem so terrible.

I tracked down the following http://kenai.com/projects/ooo-migration/pages/Home

This looks like a treasure chest of information about what is there and how it is organized.

Here is an important piece:

> The move is going to include services like publishing of web content, mailing lists, bugtracking,
> ... and the existing content of those.
> Satellite sites like OpenOffice.org forums, extensions and templates sites, ... will not be affected.
> A better integration might be considered later but is not part of the initial effort.

Kenai to Apache Migration Topics are:

- bugtracking
- mailing lists and forwarders.
- web content

Satellite to Apache Migration topics include:

- user forums
- extensions
- templates

Much has been written about all these and other topics in the last week.

I started a community wiki page https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Transition+Planning

Please feel free to expand! I have surely missed a lot.

>> So, ANYONE could get an openoffice.org email alias for their real
>> email address?
>
> Yes. Even squat it. But I don't think this has ever happened.
>
>> And there must be infrastructure to be able to change that email
>> address and cancel it as well.
>
> No! Changing is probably possible and done in your personal profile, but
> removing used to be impossible as far as I know (not that I ever tried).
>
>> Messy, the bugzilla transition is therefore entangled with how we deal
>> with openoffice.org.
>
> Yes, because here it's hardcoded, as others wrote.

And quite a bit - about 20 or so emails to find and summarize.

>> Does this personal openoffice.org email forwarding also entangle with
>> the user forum transitions?
>
> Not in general, but I registered to the forum with my @openoffice.org
> address, so in corner cases this could affect it.

And a reason for trying to keep them.

Regards,
Dave