Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "EXT-Cutshaw, Mark C" <ma...@boeing.com> on 2006/06/08 21:13:12 UTC

Problem with Runtime.exec

I am having a very strange problem with Runtime.exec.  I have a web app
running under Tomcat 5.0.19 that needs to run an OS command.  I debugged
the class that calls runtime.exec in a standalone Java app and
everything works fine, but when I call it from the web app, sometimes it
works, and sometimes it doesn't.  When it doesn't work, I get an empty
stream returned from process.getInputStream().  I haven't been able to
figure out what breaks it (redeploy, reload).  Has anyone else seen this
before?

By the way, I have the following configuration:

Sun Fire V440
Solaris 5.8
Java 1.4.2
Sun's Java Web Services Developer Pack 1.4 which I think has Tomcat
5.0.19

Thanks.

Mark Cutshaw